Student Conduct Records

Learn more about our policies surrounding Student Conduct Records at Gonzaga University.

The Resolution Center for Student Conduct and Conflict is responsible for maintaining student conduct files and for releasing information about student records in compliance with the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) and University policy. The length of time the University maintains and releases records depends on the outcome of the case.

  • If a student is suspended or expelled from the university, the record is maintained and released permanently.
  • If a student withdrew or left the University with a pending complaint or investigation, the record is maintained and released permanently with a notation explaining that a student left the University before allegations were resolved or an investigation was completed.
  • If a student receives a conduct outcome other than suspension or expulsion, the record is maintained and released for seven academic years from a student’s last conduct case.  Note: records are generally expunged on an annual basis during the Fall Semester so records information may be reported until the next expungement cycle. To make an expungement request during that time, contact the Resolution Center for Student Conduct and Conflict. 

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects student conduct records. Visit the Office of the Registrar's website for more information about FERPA.


Students or former students applying for jobs or certifications, applying to graduate school, or transferring to another University may be required to disclose whether there were unresolved allegations or they were responsible for a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. When a student applies to graduate school or transfers to another University, the conduct records check is frequently called a Dean’s Certification Check. Students and former students are encouraged to be forthright if an employer or other university asks questions about the student’s conduct at Gonzaga University.

Some external parties presume a records check includes copies of reports, letters, or other documentation. Such records are not released as part of a conduct record check.

Records checks include the following:

  • the date of the incident
  • the allegations and findings
  • assigned conduct outcomes

Third parties seeking information about a student's conduct record must have written authorization from the student or former student in order for us to disclose conduct records information. Please note that FERPA permits Gonzaga University to disclose information from a student's education record, without consent, to another school in which the student seeks or intends to enroll.


Students and former students must provide identifying information, such as date of birth, student identification number, and photo identification.

Current students may come to the Resolution Center and a member of the staff can confirm dates of incidents, findings and conduct outcomes, as well as records release requests our office has processed.

Students or former students not on campus may use our Student Conduct Records Request form to confirm records information.


Sometimes a student or former student has already provided written authorization for the University to disclose conduct records information, such as completing forms for the United States government, an employer, or another university. When that happens, the third party works directly with the Resolution Center to obtain information.

If the third party has requested that a student begin the records check process, a student or former student may submit a request using our Dean's Certification and Student Conduct Records Request form. Please follow directions to let us know to whom and where we should send the information.

Need to submit a Dean's Certification or Student Conduct Records Request?

Gonzaga University offices or departments may request a conduct records check when considering a student’s application for a leadership position or program participation. Internal conduct records checks do not require a student’s prior written consent; however, our office requires the program making the request to inform students that they are performing a records check. The Resolution Center generally only provides information that a student is or is not currently on Conduct Probation, as well as Housing Probation for residentially-based leadership positions or programs. 

Requests for conduct records checks should be made by contacting the Resolution Center. Requests for information beyond Conduct Probation and/or Housing Probation will be evaluated by the Resolution Center on a case-by-case basis. Decisions about how such information affects a student’s ability to participate in a position or program is at the discretion of the University office or department making the request. 

FERPA also permits the University to notify University officials about a student’s involvement in a conduct case in instances where the University official or office has a legitimate educational interest in knowing such information. For example, Campus Security and Public Safety, the Student Affairs Executive Office, or the Provost Office.

Want to request an Internal Conduct Records Check for students in your department or program?

While our office can often complete an individual record check within two or three business days, some require more time. Records checks may take up to seven to ten business days, especially ones involving multiple students, so please plan accordingly. 


FERPA permits the University to inform the parent(s)/guardian(s) of a student under the age of 21 regarding a violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the institution, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance, without the student’s consent. This notification is regarding a violation only. See Gonzaga University’s Parental Notification Practice for more information.

A student must sign a release to permit parents(s)/guardian(s) to speak with the University about details of their student conduct record. The University will speak on the individual student’s involvement and will not acknowledge or discuss the involvement of other students. 

A student may also provide their parent(s)/guardian(s) information contained in a conduct records check (i.e. date of incident, findings, and conduct outcomes assigned) by submitting a Student Conduct Records Request form.

Review Gonzaga University's Parental Notification Practice

The Resolution Center for Student Conduct and Conflict provides conduct record checks only. Direct inquiries regarding academic standing, academic integrity, or character and fitness to the Registrar’s Office.

Title IX-related incidents forwarded to the Resolution Center for adjudication or investigations pending at the time a student left the University will be included in conduct records checks.

The Title IX Office is the custodian of Title IX-related records. Contact the Title IX Office within the Human Resources Department for other information about Title IX records inquiries, including incidents not resolved through adjudication and ongoing investigations.


Students participating in conduct proceedings have the right to request access to information contained in incident reports or other incident-related documentation. For incidents of high concern, the Resolution Center automatically pre-schedules a time for students to review information. Documents cannot be copied or removed from the Resolution Center. 

For more information or to request access, contact the Resolution Center for Student Conduct and Conflict.


For more information about reviewing and inspecting Gonzaga educational records, visit the Office of the Registrar.