Last modified: November 8, 2022
Gonzaga University ("GU" or "We") respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through compliance with this Statement of Privacy Practices (“Privacy Statement”).
If you are a prospective student, an applicant for admission, a current student, an alum, or applicant for GU employment, GU collects, stores, uses, and discloses certain data about you. This Privacy Statement does not apply to GU employees, consultants, and/or contractors.
This Privacy Statement also describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website www.gonzaga.edu (our "Website") and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This Privacy Statement applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this Privacy Statement.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- GU interactions not involving this Website, including on any other website operated by GU or any third party; or
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully to understand its contents and our practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with our Privacy Statement and privacy practices, you may choose not to use our Website. By accessing or using this Website, you agree to this Privacy Statement. This Privacy Statement may change from time to time (see Changes to Our Privacy Statement). Your continued use of this Website after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Privacy Statement periodically for updates.
If you would like to access information about us from the European Union ("EU") or from a location where EU data protection laws apply and are not a GU employee or student, please use https://global.gonzaga.edu/.
Children Under the Age of 13Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal data from children under 13. By using the Site, you represent that you are age 13 or over. If you are a child under 13 years of age, you are not permitted to use our Website and should not send any personal data about yourself to us through our Website. If you believe that a child may have provided his or her personal data to us, please contact us using the contact information at the end of this Privacy Statement. If we learn we have collected or received personal data from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information GU Collects About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, education history, references, employment information and history, gift information, University affiliation, or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline ("personal data");
- That is about you but does not individually identify you; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided when requesting further services or information. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically may include personal data, or we may maintain it or associate it with personal data we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies GU uses for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit GU, for example, to count users who have visited those pages and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal data:
- To present our Website and its contents to you;
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us;
- To fulfill other purposes for which you provide it;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide through it;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website;
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information; and
- For any other purpose with your consent.
When you apply, and accept an admission offer, you enter into an agreement with us and we process your personal information for educational and related administrative purposes, including, but not limited to:
- Providing and administering education and related academic services;
- Providing and administering student services, including housing and dining;
- Providing and administering financial aid, grants, scholarships, and student loans;
- Providing advice and support to you, including health and wellness services, course attendance monitoring, University mission and ministry services, and career placement services;
- Monitoring and evaluating student satisfaction with academic and student development services;
- Administering student financial aid and financial accounts;
- Administering library and academic support services and programs;
- Administering the student code of conduct and resolution of student code of conduct violation allegations and complaints;
- Student recruitment, admission, enrollment, and related data analysis;
- Informing current and prospective students about academic programs and support services;
- Maintaining and evaluating academic records and procedures;
- Managing graduation records and tracking progress toward degree completion; and
- Maintaining alumni information and communicating with alumni.
Our communication with students and alumni may be sent by US mail, telephone, email, or other electronic forms of communication.
We use information that we collect from employment applicants to evaluate applicants and conduct the employment application process.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose personal data that we collect or you provide as described in this Privacy Statement:
- Between our departments as necessary for the above-described purposes.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we have hired to assist us in (1) communicating with prospective applicants and employees and (2) providing various administrative support services, including food service and information management of residence hall and student activities services.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provided it or for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provided the information.
We may also disclose your personal data:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To comply with other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Gonzaga University, our students, customers, or others.
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal data you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
We do not control third parties' collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") on the NAI's website.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may send us an email at email@example.com to request access to, correct, or delete any personal data that you have provided to us. We cannot delete all of your personal data except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
If you delete your user contributions from the Website, copies of your user contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other Website users.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal data from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal data is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
It is our policy to post any changes we make to our Privacy Statement on this page with a notice that the Privacy Statement has been updated on the Website home page. If we make material changes to how we treat our users' personal data, we will notify you by email to the primary email address specified in your account and/or through a notice on the Website home page. The date the Privacy Statement was last revised is identified at the top of the page. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date active and deliverable email address for you, and for periodically visiting our Website and this Privacy Statement to check for any changes.
To ask questions or comment about this Privacy Statement and our privacy practices, contact us at:
Attn: Information Technology Services
502 East Boone Avenue
Spokane, WA 99258
To contact us or to register a complaint:
- For Student Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Employee Information: email@example.com
- For Donation Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Alumni Information: email@example.com
- For Information about this website: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Information about security and privacy: email@example.com