As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, the safety, health and welfare of our students, faculty, staff and community members remain our number one priority. Furthermore, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that higher education “limit any nonessential visitors, volunteers, and activities involving external groups or organizations as possible – especially with individuals who are not from the local geographic area.” Finally, the higher education-specific guidance issued by the State of Washington indicates that visitors should be limited or prohibited.
In an effort to mitigate the risk of exposure, Gonzaga University, with the exception of the ZagShop, is limiting access to campus buildings and facilities to students, employees and invited visitors only. A visitor is anyone other than an enrolled student or employee, who is on campus for more than 10 mins (per CDC guidelines).
What You Need to Know Before Visiting Campus
Gonzaga is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our entire community, including our students, employees and visitors. The following health practices are essential to our efforts, and we ask our visitors for compliance:
- Please reschedule your visit and do NOT come to campus if you are ill, experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, awaiting results of a COVID-19 test or if you have recently been exposed to an individual diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Please wear a mask at all times while on campus (unless you are eating or drinking) in accordance with Washington State mandates. Masks are available for purchase at the ZagShop.
- Practice good hygiene while on campus, including washing hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using hand sanitizer. We have ample washrooms and hand sanitation stations throughout campus.
- Follow social distancing requirements and keep at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and anyone who is not a member of your immediate household.
- All visitors are required to check in at the start of their campus visit and check out before leaving campus. See the list of visitor check-in locations.
Check In/Check Out Protocol
Zags Helping Zags
The fact that we are operating in the context of a virulent pandemic cannot be refuted or ignored. Taking this seriously by working actively, consistently and responsibly to prevent the transmission of the virus is a requirement of every individual. At Gonzaga, we have a saying that takes on new meaning in this circumstance: “Zags Help Zags.” To this end, we will wear masks, we will increase hand washing, we will maintain physical distance, we will follow the directives of public health authorities and we will ask our visitors to campus to be very much part of this effort, as well.
At check in, visitors who will be on campus for more than 10 mins will:
- Sign in on a digital or paper visitor log.
- Complete a digital self-certification form certifying that the visitor or a member of their household:
- Has not been diagnosed with, or knowingly exposed to a positive case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Is not experiencing any of the COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, shortness of breath, dry cough, new loss of taste or smell.
- Has not been asked to self-quarantine or self-isolate in the last 14 days.
** Visitors will be encouraged to do this before arriving on campus, through an online form. This will be provided to visitors prior to their scheduled visit.
- After completing check in, visitors will be given instructions and guidance for navigating their visit. Visitors will then be escorted to their destination by the host.
- To check out after the visit has concluded, visitors should return to the same location where they checked in.
* Our visitor program is drawn from the Washington SafeStart guidance in partnership with state and local health departments and in alignment with the Higher Education SafeStart proclamation.