Transfer Student FAQ

All students who complete an application for admission are evaluated for merit-based scholarship. Students do not need to apply for a merit scholarship, however, a strong application and GPA will be beneficial. Transfer applicants will be informed of any merit scholarship offering within the admission decision packet. Please read more about our merit scholarships, institutional scholarships, and the Gonzaga guarantee.

As a transfer student entering with more than 30 semester credits of transferrable coursework, you may also apply for Gonzaga’s Transfer Opportunity Scholarship. If chosen as a recipient, this scholarship is worth $4,000 per year.

Participants in Phi Theta Kappa (a community college honor society) will also receive an offer of $3,000 per year. Students must have been a member for at least one year to qualify and must note PTK membership on the application for admission.

Filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  is recommended for all applicants. The FAFSA should be filed anytime between Oct 1st and March 1st preceding each school year.  Adding Gonzaga’s school code of 003778 will allow our Financial Aid office to determine if you qualify for additional state, federal and institutional aid. Financial aid packages are issued only after you have been admitted to the University.

Please also review our list of institutional scholarship opportunities. It is not uncommon for new transfer students to apply for our MusicROTC and Charlotte Y. Martin Native American scholarships. Keep in mind that many Gonzaga’s scholarships have a postmark deadline of February 1st. 

We also offer an outside scholarship search engine that you are encouraged to explore.


If you want to live on campus, please keep in mind that priority is determined by the date that the housing agreement terms and conditions are accepted. Housing applications and deposits can be submitted following your admission to the University.

Admitted transfer students under the age of 21 are guaranteed on campus, lower-division housing. Depending on availability and assignments, students should expect a roommate living situation in most cases. Exemptions to Gonzaga's on-campus living requirement include the following:

  • You have prior on-campus living experience
  • You live with immediate family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, siblings included)
  • You are married
  • You will be living off campus for financial or medical reasons
  • You are a Bishop White Seminarian

Students over the age of 21 are not required to live on campus. If you prefer on-campus housing, please be aware that upper-division housing is generally filled by current students but waitlists may be available. Please contact our Housing Department directly with questions: or 509-313-4103.

The neighborhood surrounding the Gonzaga campus is filled with many off-campus housing options and you are welcome to contact our off-campus Residence Director, at (509) 313-4524 or through email for residency requirements, applications or questions.


Please submit your application for admission by the posted transfer deadlines:

Fall Semester – March 1st for financial aid priority, and as late as June 1st
Spring Semester – November 15th

Class registration, housing options and financial aid opportunities are all impacted by the timing of admission and enrollment to the University. Students are strongly encouraged to complete the application process as early as possible. 


New students are eligible for course registration only after they have confirmed enrollment to the University (confirming enrollment requires a $500 tuition deposit).  Transfer enrollment deadlines are as follows:

Fall Semester: July 1st
Spring Semester: December 1st

New transfer, post-bac and returning student registration begins in May for fall semester and December for spring semester, therefore, early enrollment confirmation is recommended for best course selection. New students will be assigned a registration advisor to assist with registration. Upon receiving the enrollment confirmation deposit, the Office of Admission will send registration instructions by email, as well as a copy of a personalized transfer credit articulation report.


Gonzaga will only accept transferrable credit from institutions with Regional Accreditation. International coursework is an exception, however, transcripts must be evaluated by IERF before any applicable transfer credit can be reviewed for possible equivalency. 

Coursework must be academic in nature to qualify for credit at Gonzaga; GU does not accept technical, vocational or experiential courses.

Transfer courses with an earned grade below a “C” or “2.0” are not accepted for transfer and they may impact the GPA calculated for admission purposes.  If the course was repeated, Gonzaga will accept the most recent grade earned in the course.

Students are encouraged to review Gonzaga’s Transfer Agreements & Credit Policies and refer to the online Transfer Credit Database for more information regarding how credit will transfer to the University.

For questions, please contact Audrey Minton at (509) 313-6579 or


A maximum of 64 semester (96 quarter) credits may be transferred from two-year junior/community colleges. If this amount is exceeded, the Office of Admission will remove any additional credit that might be considered an elective to ensure that degree-applicable credit remains. 

There is no limit to the amount of credit that may be transferred from a regionally accredited baccalaureate institution, however, a minimum of 30 semester credits must be completed at Gonzaga to be eligible for a degree.

Any transfer coursework to be used in the major or minor at Gonzaga needs to be authorized by the department chair of that particular program.  A course syllabus will be required from the transferring institution. The department chair will review the syllabus and the transfer credit articulation can be updated accordingly given the outcome of the review.  Current students wishing to take courses outside of GU must request proper approval through the Registrar’s Office.
No, Gonzaga considers you a 'First-year student with Credit,' and you should apply just like any other high school senior. Please review the first-year applicant deadlines and admission requirements page. Refer to our Transfer Credit Database to see how courses have transferred to Gonzaga from your current institution.

Gonzaga can award a maximum of 25 elective credits to transfer applicants with formal military training.  A maximum of eight of those credits can be attributed to Physical Education training.

Gonzaga currently follows ACE credit recommendations and, while ACE recommendations help us determine the training applicable for credit, coursework will also be evaluated with the following considerations:

  • Content of the course
  • Level of the course
  • Length of the course training

You are welcome to review the Joint Statement on the Transfer and Award of Credit for additional information. 

At this time, Gonzaga does not offer credit for CLEP exams as an undergraduate student, however, these may be useful in graduate programs.

Please visit our Student Veteran Information to learn more about available resources and campus life for Gonzaga’s veteran students.

If you were academically dismissed from the University, you will need to complete a minimum of 12 semester credits (18 quarter credits) at another institution and earn a GPA of 2.7 or better before you can reapply for admission.  Generally, students under academic dismissal must also write a letter to the Committee on Academic Standing upon reapplication.  The Office of Admission will send you these requirements after your application has been submitted.
Yes, absolutely! You can contact our Visit Office to make the appointment. Be sure to take a campus tour, talk to a Financial Aid counselor, and sit in on a class. To schedule a visit, contact (800) 322-2584, ext. 6531 or (509) 313-6531 or