Welcome to UMEC’s Mentoring Pillar. At UMEC we offer support for students with underrepresented marginalized identities and backgrounds through our mentoring programs that connect students with faculty, staff and fellow student peer mentors to assist in guidance throughout their time here at Gonzaga University.
There are many benefits to becoming a mentor, some may include:
- Gain personal satisfaction
- Develop patience, insight, and understanding
- Learn lessons in citizenship through work and community
- May experience a cultural, social, or economic background different from their own
- Improve leadership and communication skills
- Gain experience for future careers in public service, social work, teaching, and more!
Just as their are multiple benefits to becoming a mentor, there are a multitude of benefits for those who are mentees:
- Receive academic help
- Learn study skills
- Have the attention of another caring adult
- Discover new options and opportunities
- Set goals for the future