Military-Connected Students FAQ

Find answers to frequently asked questions for veterans and military-connected students.
We also have a manual available to help answer any questions you might have.

Basics & Getting Started

In addition to following the student code of conduct and other policies, our student veterans have some additional requirements, when it comes to using their educational benefits at GU.  

You must notify the School Certifying Official of any VA Status Changes:

  • Add/drop classes. This may cause you to owe a repayment of your benefits.
  • Stop attending class(es).
  • Change your program of study.
  • Change of address or phone number.

Change of Address?

  • Call the VA’s toll free number (888-442-4551) to verify that your new address is in their database.
  • Notify the post office so they may forward your checks.
  • Notify the School Certifying Official at and TRANS office.
  • Change your Gonzaga student information online.

Know the Requirements for Your Program:

  • You must apply for a specific educational program. The VA will pay only for courses required for graduation.
  • The School Certifying Official will compare the classes you have enrolled in each semester against the appropriate Program of Study
  • Repeat courses are not generally allowed, except for those passed with less than a 1.0 GPA. The exception is if the Gonzaga degree you are pursuing has a minimum GPA requirement for that particular course.
  • Counselor/faculty academic consultant error is not an acceptable reason for taking classes not applicable to your program.

Transfer Students:

Impact of Grades Earned on VA Benefits:

  • Attend classes all semester and earn a 2.0 GPA each semester to remain in good standing with the VA.
  • "W" or "Z" grades are considered non-punitive grades and may create a benefit overpayment, resulting in a VA debt.
  • 0.0 (failing) grades are considered punitive grades and may not result in an overpayment.

The VA will NOT create an overpayment if you continue to attend classes.

If you stop attending classes – you will receive an overpayment, resulting in a VA debt.


Who do I go to for What?

  1. Interested in applying to GU? You should contact the appropriate Admissions Office: Undergraduate, Graduate, Law.
  2. Need to apply for Yellow Ribbon, Certify your classes with the VA you should contact the School Certifying Official.
  3. Have questions about your financial aid package, tuition, billing or FASA? You should contact Financial Aid.
  4. You have questions about the Veteran community at GU and connecting with other Vets, you should contact the Transfer, Veteran Office. 
  5. You need a parking pass: You should check out the parking permit page

Application Information

I am thinking about applying to Gonzaga, what do I need to know?

We are thrilled you are looking at GU. The first thing you need to do is contact our Admissions Team. Connect with the Admissions Office that best describes you:

About You 


I am a military veteran, who is no longer serving or about to separate, or a dependent/spouse and want to earn my Bachelor's Degree from GU. Undergraduate Admission
I am a military veteran, or a dependent/spouse and already have my Associate's Degree, and want to earn my Bachelor's Degree from GU. Undergraduate Admission - Transfer
I am a military veteran, or a dependent/spouse and want to earn my Master's or PhD/EdD from Gonzaga. Graduate Admission
I am a military veteran, or a dependent/spouse and want to earn my Law Degree from GU. Law School Admission
I am an active duty service member wanting to enroll in a part-time online program. Graduate Admission
While not a hard and fast rule, the overwhelming majority of our military veterans complete their Associate's degree prior to enrolling at Gonzaga. This will allow you to make the most out of your time at GU and help you be successful. For specific questions, reach out to the Transfer Admissions Counselor: Lindsey Spencer at
Good News - The $50 Undergraduate Fee is waived, and we are working on the Graduate and Law Fees
Once you have applied for admission to the program of your choice, it's now a great time to begin the VA Paperwork process. (Check out the How to apply for GI Bill® benefits! for specific guidance).

Veteran Education benefits vary from person to person. In general, if you have access to the complete GI Bill® amount it's about $26,000 per year (changes annually). Many of our veterans are eligible and able to access the Yellow Ribbon Program, which means, a small or no out of pocket payments for tuition. For more specific Yellow Ribbon information, please check out the VA Yellow Ribbon website.


Gonzaga may award up to 25 general elective credits for military education however, the coursework is generally ungraded - or technical/vocational in nature - so it is not included in the academics evaluated for admission purposes. Receiving credit for military training requires submission of an official Joint Services Transcript or Community College of the Air Force transcript. 

College credit earned at a regionally accredited institution is generally accepted in transfer and will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis for credit equivalency at Gonzaga University. To review courses that transferred from your previous institutions, please refer to our Transfer Credit Database. If you would like a pre-evaluation of your college credit, please contact Gonzaga’s transfer admission counselor, Lindsey Spencer at


Benefits Eligibility & Application

Our Veteran's Benefits team, found within the Registrar's Office located in College Hall Room 234, serves all military and veteran students, including undergraduate, graduate and law programs.

VA School Certifying Official (SCO)
Ryan Forim
Phone: (509) 313-6509

VA School Certifying Official (SCO)
Molly Shumaker
Phone: (509) 313-6594

Office hours: Mon-Tues/Thurs-Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Wednesday 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


Start by checking your VA e-Benefits website. Our School Certifying Official can be a great resource to help you better understand your benefits, email


New/Initial applications may be done two ways:

  1. Apply On-line through the Veterans Affairs Education & Training website and clicking the "Apply for Benefits" tab, or
  2. Apply by sending in a hard copy application available in the Veterans Office. 

Processing time for these can take up to sixty days especially during the fall semester, so early filing is important to avoid delays. Print a copy of your application for your records as applications go straight to the VA. Also, after transmitting the application, either print the page with the Transmission ID Number or copy the number down. 

Once the application is processed, you'll receive a letter called Certificate of Eligibility.  Please send a copy of the first page to the Certifying Official. 

Important Things to Consider:

  • Discharged service members should bring a copy of their DD 214 and Reservists their NOBE when making initial application for benefits.
  • Copies of these documents can be made in the Veterans Office.
  • Spouses/dependents applying for benefits under Chapter 35 should have the service number or SSN of the veteran they are filing under.
  • Veterans transferring to Gonzaga from another school or program must sign a VA form 22-1995 (active duty/reservists) or VA form 22-5495 for chapter 35 veterans before benefits can be certified. These forms are available in the Veterans Office or by visiting the VA's Find A VA Form website.
  • Refer to the VA website regarding information and a section on FAQs concerning the new Forever GI Bill® benefits.
  • Since the use of VA Educational Benefits is always the choice of the person being certified, students using VA Educational Benefits at Gonzaga must tell the School Certifying Official (SCO) which term(s) they want certified.
  • This can be done in one of two ways. By completing the registrar's DocuSign Registration Intent Form (VAINTENT) or by emailing the SCO at each term(s) the student intends to be certified.

Using your benefits:

Gonzaga veterans are serviced by the Muskogee Regional RPO located in Muskogee, OK. The University uses Electronic Certification (VA-ONCE) to certify enrollment during the semester and also to transmit changes.


By law, the VA has 60 days to process new applications.  Depending on when the application is submitted, it could take between 45 and 60 days.

  • A copy of the first page of your Certificate of Eligibility or, if this can’t be easily located, then a copy of the e-benefits page which shows your VA chapter and for Chapter 33 students your percentage of eligibility.
  • Transfer students: A copy of either your VA form 22-1995 or 22-5495. 
  • A completed Registration Intent form (VAINTENT) – required form that instructs the School Certifying Official (SCO) which term(s) applicants want to be certified for during an academic year, defined as Summer, Fall and Spring terms.
    • This is a form that is updated each year the end of the first week of March. 
    • Download the DocuSign form at this link: VAINTENT  
    • Simply put the number of credits you think you’ll be taking on the line by each term name you wish certified, sign the form, and return it to the SCO. 
    • Do not mark in the “( )” unless you’re active duty and will be using TA.
    • If your projected credits or terms of enrollment change after submitting, email the changes to the SCO at
    • Accepted submission options include:
      • An email attachment
      • Fax - (509) 313-4365
      • Physically delivered to Gonzaga University, College Hall 234, Office of the Registrar.

Application for benefits is not school specific – it is a request to the VA to begin using your benefits at some point in time.  If asked for a start date, be sure it’s prior to the start date of any school you’re applying to.  Your entitlement will not be activated until you’re certified by a School Certifying Official.


Chapter 35 students are required to complete VA form 22-5495. All other chapters are required to complete VA form 22-1995. When completing the forms, leave the financial information blank. Submit completed forms to the VA.

Both forms are available electronically at


As a private university, Gonzaga does not receive funding from the state, so we are unable to  waive tuition and fees for students using Chapter 35 VA Educational benefits.


Yellow Ribbon Program (Chapter 33)

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the in-state tuition and fees of public institutions or the annual amount payable to private institutions. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution. Gonzaga University is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon program, enhancing financial access for student veterans. For more information, contact

100% eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, plus Yellow Ribbon benefits, generally cover cost of tuition at Gonzaga University – check out the VA’s GI Bill Comparison Tool to see for yourself!

The number of Yellow Ribbon "spots" varies from year to year, the past few years we've had 100 for undergraduates and about 12 for the Law School. The tuition threshold is not high enough in graduate programs to warrant the Yellow Ribbon.


 Send a short email to with your legal name, GU ID or last four digits of your social security number,  the date you plan to start at GU, and a short statement requesting to be placed on either the undergraduate or law Yellow Ribbon waiting list.

(At this time Gonzaga does not offer Yellow Ribbon for graduate programs, except for Law.)


BAH varies from person to person depending upon rank, years of service and more. The website is a good resource to learn more.


The transfer of entitlement is coordinated through the Department of Defense and requires students to apply for benefits through the VA. 

  • Visit the VA website at
  • Click on “Apply for Education benefits” in the lower left-hand box.
  • Scroll down to “How do I apply?” and click on the narrow green box labeled “Find your education benefits form.
  • You’ll need three or four numbers in order to fill out this form. Everyone will need their SSN as well as the bank routing and account numbers where the VA will make deposits.  Chapter 35 students will also need to know either the service number or SSN of the person they’re drawing entitlement under.  When entering these number, double/triple check them as any mistakes can only be corrected by the person applying for the benefit. 
  • When you complete the application, before submitting the form, print or save a copy for your records. Applications go straight to the VA and not to the school. 
  • Upon submission, a page will appear with a transmission ID number. Print or save this page and keep it with your copy of the application. 
  • Once the application is processed by the VA, you’ll be sent a 2 - 3-page Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter.

Wondering what educational benefits apply to you? 

Veteran benefits vary greatly from service-member to service member. Begin by hopping on to e-benefits to learn more about your specific DOC Educational Benefits. 

Looking for a general overview? 

Link to an external resource: A College Resource for Veterans. 

Gain a better understanding of the benefits and terms:

  • Joint Services Transcript (JST)
    • The Army American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS), the Sailor Marine Corps American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) and the Coast Guard Institute (CGI) are now using the joint services transcript (JST) program, which is now the official transcript instrument for Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard personnel.
  • Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) Transcript
    • The Air Force uses the CCAF transcript for documenting all college credit-worthy training received. Air Force personnel should complete AF Form 2099, which is a request for a Community College of the Air Force transcript, at the base education office..
  • Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act (Chapter 33)
    • The Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act signed into law on June 30, 2008 will take effect August 1, 2009. The new chapter will provide up to 36 months of educational benefits for qualifying veterans up to 15 years following discharge or release from the last period of active duty.
  • Yellow Ribbon Program (Chapter 33)
    • The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the in-state tuition and fees of public institutions or the annual amount payable to private institutions. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution. Gonzaga University is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon program, enhancing financial access for student veterans. For more information, contact Mike Grabowski at (509) 313-6596.
  • Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (Chapter 30)
    • The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved. Your benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.
  • Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
    • The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
    • Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
    • The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. The mission of VR&E is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. Also, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service provides vocational-educational counseling to veterans and certain dependents. VR&E can provide a wide range of vocational and educational counseling services to service members still on active duty, as well as veterans and dependents who are eligible for one of VA's educational benefit programs.

Using Your Benefits

Once you’ve applied for your benefits and received your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), send a copy of just the first page to Gonzaga’s School Certifying Official (SCO).  You can scan it and attach it to an email, take a picture (jpeg format preferably) and send it to the SCO, or drop by the Registrar Office and we’ll make a copy.
If you’ve used your benefits previously at another school or are changing programs at GU, you’ll need to complete a VA form 22-1995 (22-5495 for Chapter 35 only) leaving the banking information blank and send it to the SCO at  This form must be physically on file before you can be certified.
Download and complete the Registration Intent DocuSign form here: VAINTENT.
Once you’re certified, you’ll receive a message from the VA to that effect.

Gonzaga is used to working with the VA – we’ve been doing it for years. Please know that our friends in Financial Aid know that sometimes it can take a month to receive checks. As long as you have completed the necessary paperwork and the School Certifying Official has said you are good, you are probably good. When in doubt, reach out the School Certifying Official to double check that you don’t need to do anything else, and check status.

  • Have you submitted your verification letter to the SCO at
  • Has your enrollment certification been completed by the SCO or through the toll free verification number 1-877-823-2378 for chapters 30 and 1606?
  • Previous over payments will be satisfied by current awards. Current benefits could be applied towards previous balance.
  • Don't Panic - the Financial Aid Office understands VA timelines, please connect with a representative as soon as possible. 

No. Only classes that are specifically required for your degree program and listed in the Gonzaga Course Catalog will be counted towards your VA benefits.


Drop with a refund: Every fall and spring semester, the last day to drop a class for a refund is the 10th day after classes begin [for late starting classes or summer classes, please refer to your syllabus or contact the Registrar’s Office]. If you drop classes during this period of time, you will not be charged for these courses. However, please note that it is your responsibility to notify the School Certifying Official immediately should you make any adjustments to your class schedule. Classes dropped after the drop date, are processed as a withdrawal and you will be responsible for any resulting bills.

Direct deposit authorization can be initiated at time of application. To update, change or add direct deposit information call: 1-877-838-2778.
First check your VA e-Benefits website, then talk to Financial Aid and the School Certifying official. This will make sure you’ve ALL the information you need.

This happens, don’t panic. The folks in Financial Aid bend over backward to help our student veterans. So the moment you think your GI Bill® may run out, set-up an appointment with the folks in the Financial Aid Office.


Yes. The VA can assist with tutoring, check out the VA Tutor Assistance website. We suggest asking your faculty member for tutor suggestions or contact the Center for Student Academic Success. Both options are great places for receiving help.

Yes. The VA can provide assistance check out the VA Test Fees website for instructions.

Gonzaga offers a rich variety of study abroad opportunities. In fact, nearly 50% of GU students study abroad at some point in their college career. If you are interested in studying abroad, we encourage you to plan ahead.

Step 1: Meet with the staff at the Center for Global Engagement who can help explain the different opportunities. Most of the applications open in December for the following academic year. Center for Global Engagement,, (509) 313-3549 Hemmingson First Floor.

Step 2: Meet with your academic advisor to affirm the program fits into your academic plan.

Step 3: Meet with the School Certifying Official to make sure the study abroad plan will fit into GI Bill® requirements.

*Students must be enrolled in courses that apply to their program.
**The program at the “host” school in the foreign country school must be approved.
***VA cannot pay study abroad fees unless it is required as part of the student’s program.


Financial Aid & Scholarships

Nearly two thirds of Gonzaga students qualify for financial aid. To apply for financial aid, students are required to complete a FAFSA. Gonzaga University uses the FAFSA to determine aid eligibility for all federal, state, and need-based institutional aid. Even if you have access to the GI Bill, please complete the FAFSA so we can get you connected with all of the resources available to you. 

File the FAFSA every year. It's not too late!

How to Apply for Financial Aid at Gonzaga. 

  1. Your Admission Application will be reviewed by the Office of Admission to determine your eligibility for a merit-based scholarship ranging from $14,000 to $25,000 per year for the 2024-25 school year. For more information about the admission process or to apply online, please visit the Office of Admission.
  2. Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) It is to your advantage to file the FAFSA to see what other institutional, state, and federal funding you might qualify for. Submit your FAFSA online at Gonzaga's Federal School Code is 003778.
  3. Apply for other Gonzaga University Scholarships: Gonzaga offers many different institutional scholarships. We recommend viewing the Office of Admissions page for those scholarships requiring an additional application. Many of Gonzaga's other scholarships are offered either through majors of study or through other criteria set forth by the particular scholarship. You are also encouraged to view our outside scholarship database to view available scholarship not specific to Gonzaga.
NOTE: All correspondence from the financial aid office is sent to your ZagMail account. It is important for you to check your ZagMail often regarding the status of your financial aid.

Gonzaga Merit Scholarships: All students who complete the Application for Admission are automatically considered for one of several need-blind scholarships, no separate application forms are required. Criteria for the scholarships include difficulty of curriculum, grade point average, SAT or ACT test scores, extracurricular activities, recommendations, quality of the essay, and an optional interview. Transfer scholarships: (generally range from $14,000 to $25,000)

  • Students entering with 31-59 transfer credits are guaranteed scholarship for up to 6 semesters.
  • Students entering with 60+ transfer credits are guaranteed scholarship for up to 4 semesters.
  • Students offered a merit scholarship must be admitted to the University, enrolled in 12+ credits each term, and maintain good academic standing to guarantee continuous scholarship.
  • Transfer Student Opportunity Scholarship: Available to sophomore and junior transfer students who have demonstrated scholastic achievement at an accredited college and intend to pursue a bachelor's degree full-time. Deadline: April 1st for Fall, November 15th for Spring.
  • Scholarships will be applied to your account before VA benefits pick up cost. Once VA benefits are applied to your account scholarship funding that is left over should be discussed with Financial Aid counselor, remember a situation may arise that you pay out of pocket for some education expense. Prepare yourself for success.

Your eligibility for federal and state financial aid is based on your documented Financial Need.

Cost of Attendance
-Student Aid Index
- Outside Scholarships and Other Resources
= Need for Financial Aid

The cost of attendance is determined each year by the University and includes not only tuition and fees, but also your room and meals, books and supplies, traveling expenses, and cost of living — in other words, the cost of being a student.

It is important to note, however, that the total amount of financial aid a student receives cannot exceed the cost of attendance.

The Student Aid Index (SAI) is determined by the Department of Education using your FAFSA information. The SAI is calculated based on a formula developed by Congress using both your income and assets as well as your parents’, unless you are considered independent.

What if I am using GI Bill and also eligible for need-based aid (e.g., loans, Pell-grant, Gonzaga grant, SEOG, and the Washington College Grant)?

If you have been awarded and accepted need-based aid, this will be applied to your tuition and fees after your GI-Bill and Merit Scholarships. This means, if your GI Bill and Merit Scholarships cover the total cost of your tuition and fees, you could end up with an “over-payment” or money left over to help you cover life expenses. In this way, the need based aid is designed to provide a foundation or floor of financial aid to help defray educational costs to include living expenses.


If you have been awarded and accepted merit or external scholarships, this will be applied to your tuition and fees after your GI-Bill and before any need-based aid. The Yellow-Ribbon is considered part of your financial, merit package at GU. 


Any student interested in on and off campus employment opportunities can contact Student Financial Services at (509)313-6582 or visit


Student Life

Life as a ZAG Veteran

At GU we have worked to create a welcoming campus for our veterans. From events to the Transfer and Veteran Office and orientation, we think you'll see that we are excited to welcome you to campus. 

What types of clubs do vets get involved in?

There are over 110 clubs and countless involvement opportunities for you - no matter your age or major. Our veterans have been involved in everything from student government to club basketball. Check out involvement opportunities here.

Do you have any organizations for Student Veterans?

Yes. We have a Student Vet Organization that serves all students and military-connected folks. The SVO attends the national conference every year. We also have a student veteran organization at the law school.

How can I meet other veterans?

The best and easiest way is to pop in to the Transfer, Veteran Office in Hemmingson 211 - there you will meet vets working there and get connected with other veterans. TVRAS is also active on Instagram. 

As a Veteran, am I required to live on campus?

If you are 21 years or older, you are not required to live on campus.

How many vets attend GU?

It varies every year, but in 2020 we had 141 student vets enrolled, and about 190 spouses and dependents used GI Bill Benefits. 

How many vets work at GU?

Our president and two of our cabinet members are veterans. 7% of faculty and staff are veterans.


Visit our living in Spokane Website. 

Spokane Veterans Center

13109 E Mirabeau Pkwy,
Spokane Valley, WA 99216
Phone: (509) 444-8387

Make the Connection: Shared Experiences & Support for Veterans

Explore life events or experiences that you can relate to and get information, stories, and resources for support.

Military OneSource

Confidential DoD-funded program providing comprehensive information on every aspect of military life at no cost to active duty, National Guard, and reserve members, and their families.

Spokane Veterans Forum

SVF provides services through partnerships with veterans groups, federal, state and local governments, local businesses and non-profits in the Inland Northwest.

Spokane Veterans Forum Community Resource Guide

A comprehensive guide of organizations that provide support services to veterans and their families.

Student Veterans of America

SVA's mission is to provide military veterans with the resources, support, and advocacy needed to succeed in higher education and following graduation.

Vet Center Combat Call Center

Phone: 877-WAR-VETS
Confidential call center where combat Veterans and their families can call to talk about their military experience or any other issue they are facing in their readjustment to civilian life.

Military Sexual Assault

RAINN Safe Helpline for the DoD Community

  • Live 1-on-1 Help
  • Confidential
  • Worldwide 24/7
Call: 878-995-5247
Text: 55-247

Post Traumatic Stress

National Center for PTSD

Includes information on Moral Injury and co-occurring trauma (polytrauma).

Suicide Prevention and Support

Veterans Crisis Line

Provides crisis intervention services via phone, text, and instant chat. 

1-800-273-8255 (Press 1)

Scholarships for Service People or Veterans

Other Resources and Key Veteran Contacts in The Spokane Region:

  • Army Wounded Warrior (AW2): 509-434-7527
  • Healthcare for Homeless Veterans: 509-462-2500
  • Spokane County Veteran Services: 509-477-3690
  • OIF/OEF VA Transition Team: 509-434-7286
  • Veterans Outreach Center: 509-444-8387
  • Spokane WorkSource Veterans Team: 509-532-3102

Veterans Information Sheet – a printable document with phone numbers and addresses of local community resources, veterans’ offices, and military associations.

WIN211 – Washington’s Information Network – A community resource database that can be accessed ONLINE or by simply calling 2-1-1 and a referral specialist will assist you.