How to Get Started

Active duty service members need to receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO), military counselor, or the Military Service prior to applying.
Military and Veterans must apply and be accepted at Gonzaga University (Apply to Gonzaga) and apply for GI Bill benefits.
We also recommend you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to maximize your eligibility for financial aid. Start your FAFSA today at the Department of Education's website


How to apply for GI Bill® benefits!

1.  Apply on time. If you are a veteran, and/or a dependent of a veteran using transferred entitlement that has been approved by DoD but has never used the benefit, we recommend you apply by June 1st for the fall semester and November 1st. for the spring semester.

     You will need some specific documents and information to apply for VA Benefits:

  • Your Social Security number
  • Bank account direct deposit information
  • Education and military history
  • Basic information about Gonzaga University

2.  Complete the application. Apply online at the VA website, by mail, or in-person.

3.  Communicate with GU If approved, the School Certifying Official (SCO) needs the following before the statement due date from the Student Accounts Office.

  • First page of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • Completed Registration Intent DocuSign Form (VAINTENT)

4.  If you’re a veteran wanting to transfer any of your unused Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your spouse or dependent children.

     Has the DoD already approved the transfer?

  • If you have not completed this step – Go to milConnect (this will take on average of 30 days)
  • If the DoD approves the Transfer of Entitlement (TOE), your family members are ready to apply for GI Bill® benefits with the VA (this will take an additional 30 days)

5.  If you’re a veteran who has used your GI Bill® benefit previously at another school.

  • Complete VA form 22-1995 (22-5495 if you’re Chapter 35), leave the financial information blank.
  • Email the form to GU's School Certifying Officials (SCO), Ryan Forim or Molly Shumaker at