September 11, 2020
I hope this email finds you all healthy and rested after the Labor Day Weekend. As we end the second full week of classes, it is more important than ever for all of us to remain informed and vigilant in our collective effort to keep our campus and the Spokane community safe. The expectations of wearing face-coverings, keeping appropriate social distance, and following all public health directives remain critical even as we become more comfortable in our various settings (on and off campus). We cannot let down our guard.
One of the critical strategies being employed to keep our community safe and healthy is the coordination of a robust testing protocol. I want to take this opportunity to update you on the next steps in Gonzaga’s COVID-19 testing and draw your attention to two particular key elements:
- Beginning Monday, September 14, students will be able to get tested at a new “walk-in” testing clinic. This service will be provided Monday through Friday at the old CCP House (729 E. Boone) from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. These tests are free of charge and should only be taken by students who are NOT experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Students feeling sick, experiencing COVID-like symptoms, or being directed by medical providers or contact tracer (based upon professionally assessed exposure risks) will continue to receive health-care and COVID-19 testing by appointment at the Health Center or the Health Center Annex. If you have questions about symptoms you are experiencing, call the Health & Counseling Center at (509) 313-4066. If you have questions concerning a potential exposure, please call the COVID-19 Hotline (509) 313-7070.
- Surveillance testing began this week and will continue throughout the semester. Students should anticipate being selected for these tests and being part of a randomly selected pool to assist us in identifying potential outbreaks (both on-campus as well as off-campus). You may receive notification through your student Zagmail address. It is important that you are checking this email for these notifications as well as COVID-19 updates. If you are selected for surveillance testing:
- Surveillance tests are required.
- These tests will be provided in Tilford, Rm. 109 on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Your notification email will provide more details and you should follow those directions.
Look for more updates in Morning Mail and on the ZagOn webpage.
I want to thank you all for your continued dedication to keeping Gonzaga healthy. We are doing a great job caring for one another and living into the spirit of Zags Help Zags! I ask you all to continue being informed, aware, and invested in keeping our campus open.
Thank you all, and ZagOn!
Vice Provost for Student Affairs