Financial Aid Appeals

Financial Aid Appeals – COVID-19 Update

These are truly exceptional times and we know that the current conditions put financial stress on our students and families. Please know that financial aid regulations allow us to use current or projected financial information to help you. As our community responds to impact of COVID-19 know that our staff are working and are committed to providing excellent service.

We have a Special Conditions Appeal Form that can guide you through the circumstances we can take into account and help you to provide us with the information that we can use to help you 

Who is Eligible?

Eligibility for financial aid appeals apply to all returning, confirmed and admitted undergraduate students at Gonzaga University.

Our financial aid staff is working remotely, but available to talk via phone or email. The best way to get ahold of us is via email at, via phone at 509-313-6582, or by making a phone call appointment at  

We also have additional information about the items we can, and cannot take into consideration. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. 

Circumstances we can take into consideration:

  • Loss of wages or benefit of a parent or spouse.
  • Divorce or separation.
  • Significant medical/dental expenses not covered by insurance and have been paid by the family.
  • Loss of child support.
  • Parent attending college and enrolled in an approved degree-seeking program of study.
  • National or natural disaster.
  • Death of a parent or spouse.
  • K-12 private school tuition costs.
  • Support paid to extended family members.

Circumstances we cannot take into consideration:

  • Inability to liquidate assets.
  • Mortgage payments.
  • Property taxes.
  • Consumer debt.
  • Parent refusal to help cover educational expenses.

As part of the appeal process we need to verify that the information originally submitted on the FAFSA is correct. If you used the IRS Data Retrieval tool when completing the FAFSA, you should be set. If you did not, we will need a copy of the IRS 1040 that your family submitted. 

Special Conditions Appeal Form