As stated in an early June communication, the University is requiring any student who travels outside of Spokane County for the Thanksgiving Break to not return to campus for the remainder of the semester. This decision supports our continued efforts to mitigate the risk associated with the spread of the COVID-19 virus and decreases the chance of needing to isolate or quarantine during the final, critical weeks of the semester.
In order to understand your plans, ALL RESIDENTIAL STUDENTS are required to complete the Fall 2020 End of Semester Plans form available on ZagLiving before October 25, 2020.
If you plan to leave Spokane County for Thanksgiving, please note the following:
- Per the June communication, “Students who elect to travel outside of Spokane County for Thanksgiving and remain at home will be able to request a credit of the unused portion of their room and board plan, to be applied towards Spring 2021 charges.” By completing the ZagLiving form indicating your plan to leave campus and not return after Thanksgiving, notice will be given to Student Accounts to apply a credit to your student account for the unused portion of your room and board plan (3 weeks). The credit will be applied toward any remaining balance due for the Fall 2020 semester or toward your Spring 2021 charges. Any remaining Bulldog Bucks will carry forward to the spring semester.
- You will need to depart campus no later than 5:00 pm on Wednesday, November 25. All residence hall access will be shut off at that time.
- You may not return to University housing until residence halls re-open for the Spring Semester. If you return, the fall semester room and board credit will be reversed in full with no additional proration for the remainder of the semester.
- If you have signed a full Academic Year housing agreement, you may leave your belongings in your room and retain your keys but will not be permitted to enter your room or building until spring opening. You do not need to turn in your room keys or student ID.
- If you do not intend to return to campus housing for the Spring Semester, you will need to submit either an housing exemption request form (1st & 2nd year students) or the notice of cancellation form (3rd & 4th year residents) available on ZagLiving.
- If you have signed a Fall Semester only housing agreement or your exemption request or cancellation form are approved, you must remove all of your belonging from your room and complete the express checkout process.
- If you have a part time job on-campus, please let your supervisor know that you won’t be returning until the spring semester.
If you plan to stay over Thanksgiving Break and leave for Christmas break, please note the following:
- Campus dining options will be available to on-campus residents during the break. On-call and emergency resources will be available to all students. Specific hours and availability for the Hemmingson Center, Foley Library, COG, etc. are still being determined. The university will continue to support students who may be in COVID-related isolation or quarantine.
- You will need to depart campus within 24 hours after your last final or no later than 10 AM on Saturday, December 19. All residence hall access will be shut off at that time.
- If you have signed a full Academic Year housing agreement, you may leave your belongings in your room and retain your keys. You will not be granted access to your room or building until spring opening. Any modification to the spring portion of your agreement will require submittal of an exemption request (1st & 2nd year residents) or notice of cancellation (3rd and 4th year residents) form available on ZagLiving.
- If you have signed a Fall Semester only housing agreement, you must remove all of your belonging from your room and complete the express checkout process.
If you plan to remain on-campus through the Christmas break, please note the following:
- Only Juniors and Seniors living in apartment buildings and some students with special circumstances (e.g. International students, student athletes in season, residence life staff) are allowed to stay through the Christmas Break.
- You will be granted access to your room and building. However, you may not provide access to building or your unit to other residents of the building.
- If you have signed a full Academic Year housing agreement, any modification to the spring portion of your agreement will require submittal of a notice of cancellation form available on ZagLiving.
- If you have signed a Fall Semester only housing agreement, you may not remain through Christmas and must remove all of your belonging from your room and complete the express checkout process. You must be moved out of your assigned space by 10 AM on Saturday, December 19.
If you need a late departure after closing for Christmas break (12/18/20) or an early arrival prior to spring semester’s opening:
- You will need to complete the late departure or early arrival form available on ZagLiving.
- The charge for a late departure or early arrival may be waived depending on the circumstances (flight delay, winter road conditions, athletic completion or official training, etc.)
Thank you for responding as requested. During the pandemic, your participation is crucial for the effective and efficient transition between semesters. Please let us know if your personal situation is not described by one of the scenarios above and we’ll provide individual guidance.
Housing and Residence Life