Overview of Grant seeking Offices/StaffSponsored Research and Programs; University Advancement, Corporate and Foundation Giving; Controller's Office
Sponsored Research and Programs (SRP)
- Support office for faculty and staff members who want to fund their creative, scholarly, service, and/or research efforts in research, programs, or projects that meet the mission of the University.
- Responsible for securing funding from public grant makers (government agencies--grant awards and contracts). Collaborates with University Advancement, Corporate and Foundation Giving to secure funding from private sources (foundations, corporations, alumni, etc.).
- In collaboration with the Controller's Office, protects the interests of the University, departments, and individual grant seekers.
Joann Waite, PhD, Director and Research Integrity Officer, (509) 313-5870. Joann is the lead contact for faculty and staff and is liaison with the Provost & Senior Vice President for sponsored projects. Her team can help you with grant research and outreach to funding agencies as well as suggest potential collaborators. SRP can provide assistance with institutional matching, if the grantor requires or recommends cost-share. Before you submit (pre-award), Joann manages internal approvals through the Internal Approval Document (IAD) process, which is required of all grant proposals submitted at Gonzaga University (public and private). For public grants, her staff will help you prepare and submit a professional, polished proposal. Joann will help you develop your proposal budget and will, in collaboration with G.U. Corporate Counsel, help you create contracts for funding . After you submit (post-award), SRP staff will assist you with the administration of your grant through a meeting with G.U.'s Grant Accountant, Jackie Van Allen, from the Controller's Office, assist you in meeting auditor-required compliance for both public and private grants, and help you seek further funding for your project.
Kathy Hill, Process Manager, (509) 313-6098. Kathy works with you to develop your project idea, research public funders, create a timeline for proposal preparation, interpret and explain funder guidelines, and assist with writing, editing, and formatting your professional proposal. Kathy organizes document flow and collaborates with you and all relevant stakeholders to assure proposal documents are completed with enough time for packaging and uploading as well as submission before the funder's deadline.
Diane Farrell, Program Coordinator, (509) 313-4065. Diane will register with federal agencies and upload documents to your electronic application. She gathers University documents, policies, and other information required by funders. She checks and uploads finalized documents to your electronic application and, after your final review and approval, then submits your proposal and confirms its receipt at the funder. (Often these uploads take several hours and, with some agencies, you do not get confirmation for days.) Grants.gov anticipates slower processing times due to increased activity on the system, so it is best that you plan to submit your grant at least 3-5 business days ahead of the due date. Diane also gathers and sends the documentation for your awarded grant to the Controller's Office to fulfill fiscal responsibility.
Compliance Coordinator acts as a resource advising faculty members on Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) requirements. Oversees research compliance document work flow to ensure that G.U.'s IRB conducts reviews of submitted human subject research applications and that G.U.'s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) conducts reviews of animal research applications in accordance with federal requirements, University policies and procedures, and accreditation standards. Supports faculty by facilitating and tracking the RCR training required by federal funding agencies.”
University Advancement, Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR)
- Assists faculty and staff members with proposal writing, grant reporting, and development of material for submission.
- Develops engagement strategies with faculty and staff when potential donor priorities align with University priorities and mission.
- Coordinates communication with potential corporate and private foundation donors regarding funding and engagement opportunities.
- Stewards donors to maintain productive and enduring relationships that result in continued support.
Teah Chadderdon, Interim Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) , (509) 313-6394.
- If your grant is awarded, the staff of the Controller's office will meet with you to review the grant award documentation and begin the process of managing your grant funds in partnership with various campus offices (Payroll, Gift Accounting, etc.). You will work with them to provide financial information for any required reports.
Deena Presnell, Controller, (509) 313-6803. Deena oversees the Controller's Office and is Gonzaga University's authorized approver for all financial documents from the Controller's Office.
Michelle Soss, Assistant Controller, (509) 313-6371. Michelle reviews and approves reconciliations of grant financial reports as prepared by the grant accountant.
Jackie Van Allen, Grant Accountant, (509) 313-6808. Jackie is the lead contact on grant post-awards and assists with grant management. She creates a general ledger fund number and is responsible for reviewing and approving all expenses related to federal and non-federal grants. She prepares reconciliations of federal grant financial reports with supporting accounting records and completes electronic filing to federal agencies. Non-federal grants requiring financial information should be reviewed by the Controller’s Office before being submitted to the granting agency.
Last update: 27 October 2017