Here are answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
Furthermore, if you have a master’s degree, Gonzaga offers an Ed.D. in Educational Leadership. To be eligible for this program at least five years of experience in a Pre K-12 environment is required.
To be eligible for this Master's in Educational Leadership and Principal Certification program, you must have a valid Washington State teaching license.
If you are not interested in gaining principal certification and live outside of Washington State, you can earn an online M.Ed. in Educational Leadership. More information about this program can be found here.
For current tuition rates and information about how to finance your degree go to our Tuition and Financing page.
Coursework must be at a distinctive graduate level by the transfer institution and must have been taken within the last five years. A minimum grade of a B must be earned. Courses previously applied to a completed degree are not transferable to the student’s current program.
The principal internship is a 600-hour internship. These hours are broken down into sections and consist of:
- 270 hours completed during an average school day in the school building.
- 270 hours completed outside of an average school day or are completed offsite of the school building.
- 40 hours completed within your district but in other grade level buildings (elementary, middle, high school, alternative school, highly capable, etc.). This is typically done within an average school day.
- 20 hours are completed in another school district drastically different in demographics from your other experiences in schools. This is typically done within an average school day.
If you work in a district office, or another area outside of a specific school, your internship can be done with any school in your district. You will need to work with the individual school’s administration to find what opportunities are available.
Your mentor must be a certified principal and must have three years of experience in the role.
Why Choose Gonzaga?
You will be assigned a faculty advisor who will work with you throughout the duration of the program to help you meet your academic goals.
We also have a Graduate Student Services Team available to answer your questions and connect you to the resources you need, including:
- Program Support
- Graduate Student Association
- Foley Library
- IT Help Desk
- Disability Access
- Career & Professional Development Services
- Center for Cura Personalis
- Health & Counseling Services
- Lincoln LGBTQ+ Resource Center
- Rudolf Fitness Center
- Transfer, Veteran and Returning Adult Services
- Unity Multicultural Education Center
- University Mission & Ministry
Gonzaga was founded in 1887 and continues to pursue a mission of educating leaders with a mind for social justice and the capacity for reflective and critical thought.