Hope Dialogue: Lifeguards, Hikers, and Mathematicians (9/16/2021)
Catholic Charities Eastern Washington CEO and President Dr. Rob McCann discussed the realities and consequences of intergenerational poverty within our community and the structures that create and sustain it. Attendees participated in a Q&A after the main lecture.
For more information on Catholic Charities and the work that they do, please visit their website.
Conference: Re-Thinking Ourselves in a Time of Truth and Healing (04/23/2021)
Through presentations, conversations, and reflections, we considered how invisible structures of an unjust past impact us today, specifically as they relate to the First Peoples of this land, and how we might work together for a more just present and future.
The Legacy of Christian Supremacy
Jeannine Hill Fletcher, PhD, is a constructive theologian at Fordham University and author of The Sin of White Supremacy: Christianity, Racism, & Religious Diversity in America.
View the slides from the presentation here.
Disrupting Constructions of Western Knowledge
Samuel Torres (Mexica/Nahua), EdD, is the Director of Research and Programs at the National Native American Boarding School Healing Coalition and author of Beyond Colonizing Epistemicides: Toward a Decolonizing Framework for Indigenous Education [dissertation and forthcoming book].
Hope Dialogue: Disrupting Us vs. Them (Feat. Erin Jones) (03/24/2021)
Dr. Erin Jones lead us in examining the story of community--the narratives we tell as a nation about different communities and about community as whole. As those stories are unpacked, we discover how to disrupt narratives and open up dialogue between communities across our various differences.
- "The Characteristics of White Supremacy Culture," From Dismantling Racism: A Workbook for Social Change Groups, by Kenneth Jones and Tema Okun, ChangeWork, 2001.
More by Erin Jones:
Hope Dialogue: Windows and Mirrors (03/18/2021)
- School Climate for Transgender Students
- Trans Equality WA State Report
- GSA Article
- GLSEN Washington Snapshot
- Trans Equality Youth Students
- Genderbread Person
- HRC Welcoming Schools Resources
- GLSEN's Ready, Set, Respect! - GLSEN's elementary toolkit has common-core aligned lessons that focus on name-calling, bullying & bias, LGBTQ-inclusive family diversity, and gender roles & diversity.
- Reading the Rainbow: LGBTQ Inclusive Literacy in the Elementary Classroom - This book offers comprehensive resources, curriculum development, resource materials, and a pathway between existing literature and current LGBTQ resources.
- GLSEN's Inclusive Curriculum Guide
Gender Inclusive Biology:
- Evolution's Rainbow: Diversity, Gender, and Sexuality in Nature and People by Joan Roughgarden
- Sexing the Body by Anne Fausto-Sterling
- The Spectrum of Sex: The Science of Male, Female, and Intersex by Hida Viloria and Maria Nieto