FAQ's for New Students Interested in Bands/Wind Ensembles

What is the Wind Ensemble?

The Wind Ensemble is the premier ensemble for woodwind, brass, and percussion students at Gonzaga University. The ensemble has a flexible instrumentation and performs the finest chamber and symphonic repertoire for winds and percussion. The Wind Ensemble is known for its innovative programs and frequently performs with guest soloists and conductors, and has collaborated with composers on the premier of several new works.

Which instruments can play in the Wind Ensemble?

The following instruments typically make up the ensemble:

  • Piccolo
  • Flute
  • Oboe
  • English Horn
  • Bassoon
  • E-flat clarinet
  • B-flat clarinet
  • Bass Clarinet
  • Contrabass Clarinet
  • Alto Saxophone
  • Tenor Saxophone
  • Baritone Saxophone
  • Trumpet
  • Horn
  • Trombone (Bass Trombone)
  • Euphonium/Baritone
  • Tuba
  • Percussion
  • String Bass
  • Piano
  • Harp
  • Additional instruments are included as the music demands.

Does the Wind Ensemble or Music Department have instruments that I can borrow or rent?

The Music Department has a limited number of instruments to lend to students. Please get in touch with Dr. Hamlin if you need an instrument.

Who can be in the Wind Ensemble?

All members of the Gonzaga University community are welcome to perform in the Wind Ensemble. Much of the Wind Ensemble consists of students with majors other than music.

How do I join the Wind Ensemble?

All members wishing to join the Wind Ensemble need to schedule a placement hearing with Dr. Hamlin. Those placement hearings can happen at any time but typically are scheduled at the beginning of each semester.

For your placement hearing, please prepare a short section of music that best reflects your playing ability. Players will also be asked to sight-read a brief expressive and technical passage.

I would like to perform a placement hearing but I do not have any music prepared.

You may elect to sight-read music from the current Wind Ensemble repertoire for your placement hearing.

How many concerts do you give? How often do you rehearse?

The Wind Ensemble performs approximately four concerts per school year (an average of two per semester). Rehearsals are generally on Wednesdays from 6:30 – 9:00 pm in Music Hall 101 with other occasional dress rehearsals.

Are there any Wind and Percussion Scholarships available?

Musicians of all majors are eligible to audition for merit-based scholarships. The application is available on the music department webpage, www.gonzaga.edu/music/music-scholarships/application.

Whom do I contact for more information?

Please email Dr. Peter Hamlin at hamlin@gonzaga.edu.

Want to Connect with the Music Department?