College of Arts and Sciences
Department of Integrated Media
Degree: B.A. in Journalism
The Journalism major will:
- Be adept at articulating the roles that journalism plays in a democratic governmental system, and in the range of governmental systems internationally, through the lens of historical context.
- Demonstrate the ability to gather relevant information via research, interviews and observation that has inherent news value, and write stories using that information, in appropriate journalistic style.
- Demonstrate acumen in media content creation with attention to media format, grammar and punctuation, and AP style.
- Be able to edit journalistic writing that is contextual, accurate and relevant for multiple media platforms in a deadline environment.
- Understand the boundaries and protections of media law and the guidelines for ethical journalistic behaviors, and engage in journalistic practices that transcend minimum industry standards.