College of Arts and Sciences
Department of Integrated Media
Degree: B.A. in Journalism
The Journalism major will:
- Articulating the role that journalism plays in a democratic governmental system.
- Developing the skills to gather relevant information via research, interviews and observation that has inherent news value, and writing stories using that information, in appropriate journalistic style.
- Honing, polishing and improving journalistic writing that is contextual and relevant across media platforms in a deadline environment.
- Becoming adept at fashioning journalistic work with attention to all the appropriate elements of news presentation, such as medium, platform, design, placement within format, typography, graphics and headlines, grammar, punctuation and style.
- Understanding the boundaries of media law and guidelines for ethical journalistic behaviors; incorporating that understanding in journalistic practices that transcend minimum standards.
- Articulating major theories of the press domestically and internationally within both a historical context and contemporary journalistic practice, and across the range of governmental structures.