An academic internship allows students to register for credit and, through coordination with a faculty member, to integrate their classroom learning with the knowledge and skills that come from working in a professional environment.
A high-quality academic internship adds value to a student’s education in the following ways:
- An internship allows a student to get to know a field of work from the inside.
- An internship allows a student to work with professionals in the field and gain insight directly from them.
- An internship allows a student to extend his or her knowledge and skills in a practical way.
- An internship allows a student to bring the latest training to an employer and make a difference.
- An internship helps distinguish a student’s resume.
- Graduate schools and professional schools recognize the value of internships.
- An internship can lead to employment.