Code of Conduct
The Chastek Library seeks to provide a safe and secure environment and facilities suitable for serious study and legal research.
Who can use the Library
- Gonzaga University law students, faculty, and staff.
- Attorneys and Gonzaga Law alumni with Attorney Affiliate cards.
- Members of the general public using the Chastek Library’s Federal Depository Collection.
Behaviors that infringe upon the rights of library users or staff are prohibited. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Creating disturbances.
- Exhibiting intimidating or threatening behavior to others through language or actions.
- Disturbing law students with unwanted advances, questioning, or solicitation of legal advice.
- Making harassing, unrealistic demands of library staff for any reason, including seeking inappropriate types of assistance with legal research or legal questions.
- Inappropriate computer use.
- Defacing or damage library materials, furnishings, or equipment.
- Talking on cell phones.
- Using tobacco products or e-cigarettes.
- Disturbing others with strong odors, e.g., perfumes, alcohol, or personal hygiene conditions.
- Vending, peddling, soliciting, or petitioning in the library.
- Leaving personal belongings unattended.
- Entering areas not authorized for public use such as the study rooms, computer lab, and staff areas.
- Refusing to comply with posted library hours.
In addition, library users must comply with all other library policies and signage.
Chastek Library staff have the authority to determine what behaviors constitute inappropriate use of the library and its resources.
Library users in violation of the library’s code of conduct, or any other library policy, may be asked to present identification and may be subject to a search of backpacks or bags.
Library users who fail to follow the library’s code of conduct are subject to sanctions including:
- Removal from the library and law school building.
- Reporting to campus public safety, city police, or other law enforcement.
- Legal prosecution.
Bicycles, Roller Blades, and Skateboards
Bicycles, rollerblades, skateboards, and the like are not allowed in the library.
Audible cell phone use is not allowed anywhere in the library, including the computer lab, study rooms, stairwells, and restrooms.
Food & Drink
Beverages in spill-proof containers are permitted in the library. Food is allowed; however, please avoid bringing in foods that are messy, noisy, or have a noticeable odor.
Please be considerate and dispose of trash in the trash cans and recycling bins located throughout the library. Report spills immediately to library staff.
All three floors of the library, including the computer lab, are quiet study areas. We ask all patrons and staff to work cooperatively to minimize noise in the library. The common areas outside of the library are available for telephone calls and conversations.
Please do not leave any personal items unattended in the library. Any items left unattended at closing will be placed in lost and found at the circulation desk.
Pets & Animals
With the exception of school-sponsored therapy dogs and personal guide or service dogs, no pets or animals are allowed in the library.
Security & Public Safety
Maintaining security in the library is of paramount concern to the library administration and staff. If you observe any hazardous or potentially dangerous situation in or around the library, please report your observations to the circulation desk 509.313.5792, Gonzaga Public Safety 509.313.2222, or to the local police (911) as the situation requires.