catalog header

Course Catalog

Grading Policies

A. Grading Procedures

A student’s scholastic standing is based on the GPA earned each semester. This is determined by the combined results of examinations, assignments, class attendance, and general evidence of regular and consistent participation. Due weight will be given to mastery of the subject and the ability to communicate clearly, effectively, and accurately in both oral and written form. There are several GPA’s including the semester GPA, the cumulative GPA, and the upper division major GPA.

Specific information on the grading policy of any course is typically provided via the course syllabus. To indicate a student’s quality of achievement in a given subject, final grades in the form of letters and plus/minus indicators are used by all instructors in the University’s undergraduate programs. The letter grades A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, F, V, and NS are assigned a “quality point value” for purposes of cumulative grade point average calculations, certification, and convenience in reporting.

The GPA is calculated by dividing the total quality points earned by the total credits graded.

The letter grades AU, I, IP, P, RD, S, and W do not count as credits graded and quality points are not awarded. Grades of “S” and “P” do not calculate into the GPA but count as credits earned.

A minimum cumulative and upper division major grade point average of 2.00 is required for completion of an undergraduate degree. Transfer credits accepted by Gonzaga may count toward degree completion; however, grades associated with transfer credits are not used in the calculation of the cumulative GPA at Gonzaga.

Letter Grades Description Quality Points
A Excellent 4.0
B Good 3.0
C Average 2.0
D+ Poor 1.3
F Failing 0.0 (computed in GPA)

Grade awarded to students who complete the term and the course but fail to achieve course objectives.
V Failing 0.0 (computed in GPA)

Grade awarded to students who have not officially dropped or withdrawn from a course and consequently have not met class attendance requirements or participation in the course through the end of a semester. The grade is given at the discretion of the professor. Students should not assume that professors will automatically initiate course drops/withdrawals for non-attendance.
S (Satisfactory) Passing grade of C or higher (not computed in GPA)
P (Pass) Passing grade of C or higher (not computed in GPA)
NS (C- or lower) Failing grade of C- or lower (computed in GPA)
W (Withdrawal)
(not computed in GPA)
RD (Report Delayed)
(not computed in GPA)

AU - Audit grading option: The “AU” grade is assigned by the Registrar’s Office and is not an option of the instructor. Students must register for this grade mode prior to the last published date to withdraw from a course. A complete description of this option is given earlier in the Academic Policies section.

I - Incomplete: Given when a student with a legitimate reason as determined by the instructor, does not complete all the work for the course within the semester that he/she is registered for the course. A provisional grade should be what the student would earn if no additional work is submitted. The faculty member may assign a provisional grade through ZAGWEB’s Faculty Services tab and the “Email Provisional Grades” block which will initiate an automated email to the Registrar’s OfficeThe provisional grade received will be applied to a student’s academic record thirty (30) calendar days into the following semester (summer sessions are not included) as outlined every semester on the Academic Calendar. Date extensions beyond this date may be requested and must be approved through the appropriate Deans' Office and the Office of the Provost.  Forms for this action can be obtained from the Registrar's Office.

If the instructor does not submit a Change of Grade form before the Academic Calendar’s grade conversion date occurs or an approved date extension lapses, a provisional grade received will be recorded on the student’s transcript. If no provisional grade has been provided, the "I" grade automatically becomes an "F" grade and is recorded on the transcript as an "I/F". Whenever an "I" grade has been assigned, the "I" grade becomes part of the permanent record. i.e. "I/B", etc.

IP- In Progress: Assigned only for courses in Internships, Research, and Comprehensive Exams as well as courses that Deans recognize as eligible due to the nature of the course and the need for more than a semester to complete the work. An “IP” may remain for one calendar year. If a grade is not submitted within one year, an “IP” automatically becomes a “W” (official withdrawal). Requests for an extension beyond the deadline must be submitted by the instructor to the Registrar’s Office by completing the Extension form and obtaining signatures from the Dean of the School the course falls under as well as the Provost. Once the course has been completed and graded, the Change of Grade form needs to be processed and the grade will be entered on the student's academic record by the Registrar’s Office.

P - Pass: Courses may be taken on the Pass/Fail grading option by student request, not that of the instructor. Students select this option prior to the last published date to withdraw from the course, and may not revoke their decision after this date, by completing the appropriate paperwork in the Registrar’s Office. Letter grades assigned by instructors that are “C" or higher are converted to “P” grades at the end of the semester and grades below “C" are converted to “F” grades. The “P” grade does not calculate into the grade point average and the credits earned count toward the minimum number of credits required to graduate. The “F” (fail) grade affects the cumulative GPA as a standard “F” grade. Courses taken under the Pass/Fail grading option do not satisfy any university core, major, minor, or concentration requirement and can only be used as elective credit toward the overall credit total required for graduation. A complete description of this option is given later in this section of the catalog under the heading of “Pass/Fail Option.”

RD - Report of Grade Delayed: If an instructor fails to assign a grade for a course and the grade entry is left blank, the Registrar’s Office will assign an “RD” and the “RD” will remain a part of the student record until the earned grade has been received by the Registrar’s Office. To submit the grade, a Change of Grade must be processed through Zagweb and requires the Dean’s approval. 

S/NS - Satisfactory/Non-Satisfactory: Some courses are designated by academic departments for Satisfactory (S)/Non-Satisfactory (NS) grading only. This is not a grading option that students can choose. This grading option can only be determined by a department/school. The NS grade has the same effect as an “F" (Fail) on the grade point average. An “S” grade does not affect the GPA, and the credits earned are counted toward total credits needed to graduate. Courses graded using this grade mode will not be converted to a standard letter grade.

V - Unofficial Withdrawal: This grade has the same effect as “F” (Fail) on the grade point average (GPA) and is awarded by the instructor for excessive absences or failure to withdraw officially from a course.

W - Official Withdrawal: No penalties incurred. Not included in the attempted or earned GPA.

B. Grade Reports

Students receive their mid-semester grade reports electronically via their personal ZAGWEB accounts. Final grades are obtained by the student over ZAGWEB or through the Registrar’s Office.

C. Grade Point Averages

The GPA is calculated by dividing the total quality points earned by the total graded credits. The letter grades AU, I, IP, P, RD, S, and W do not count as credits graded and quality points are not awarded. There are several GPA’s including the semester GPA, cumulative GPA, major GPA, and graduation GPA. A minimum cumulative and major grade point average of 2.00 is required for an undergraduate degree. Transfer credits are not used in calculating the grade point average at Gonzaga University.

D. Removal of Incompletes

When an incomplete grade (I) has been officially awarded and a provisional grade has been recorded by the instructor, the provisional grade will become final after thirty days have elapsed in the subsequent semester, unless the student fulfills the missing requirements and the instructor informs the Registrar on an official Change of Grade form that the course requirements have been fulfilled. Students must observe this thirty-day grace period. If no provisional grade was submitted, the “I” grade becomes an “F” grade and is recorded on the transcript at this time. The “I” (Incomplete) grade remains on the transcript along with the earned grade.

E. Extension of Incomplete Grades

Students who are unable to meet the deadline for the removal of an incomplete grade for a serious and legitimate reason may petition the Dean of their School for an extension of the deadline. If the Dean approves the petition, he or she will forward it to the Provost for approval.

F. Change of Grade

A change of grade requires a Change of Grade form submitted via Zagweb by the instructor and approved by the Dean of the school in which the course was offered. Grades are normally changed only because of calculation error or failure to take into account a significant amount of student work.

G. Repeating Courses for Improved Grade

In an effort to improve the GPA, an undergraduate student can repeat any course with another course of the same designation. The original course and grade will remain recorded on the student’s transcript but will not be counted into the student’s GPA. The cumulative credits and GPA will be adjusted to reflect the last credits and grade earned. Courses for which a student received a grade carrying no quality point value, such as W, (X prior to Fall 1996), and AU, may be re-taken in subsequent semesters; these grades are not included in the repeat course policy jurisdiction. Courses retaken as an independent study or directed reading do not qualify under this policy. Only courses re-taken at Gonzaga University qualify to improve the GPA under the University’s Repeat Policy.

Academic departments are permitted to have more restrictive policies regarding repeating and/or withdrawing from courses. Students are advised to work carefully with their academic advisors and departments regarding these departmental policies.

H. Pass/Fail Grading Option (selected by undergraduate students)

Courses may be taken on a pass or fail basis at the option of the student, not of the instructor. The Pass/Fail option by a student should not be confused with the Satisfactory/Non Satisfactory option offered and graded for courses predetermined by academic departments.

  1. A course with a "P" grade earned at the option of the student does not fulfill any course requirement for a core, major, minor, or concentration requirement.
  2. The credits earned for a "P" grade count toward the 128 minimum credits necessary for a degree.
  3. A "P" (pass) grade will not affect the grade-point average; a fail will have the same effect as any "F" (fail) grade.

  4.  A student’s level of performance to earn a "P" grade must correspond to the letter grade of "C" or better.

  5.  Undergraduate students wishing to exercise the Pass/Fail option must fill out the Pass/Fail Grade Option form in the Registrar’s Office prior to the last published date to Withdraw from courses and may not revoke their decision after this date.

  6. Students are allowed to designate at most six (6) credits as Pass/Fail each Academic Year.

  7.  Any course failed ("F" grade) may not be repeated on a Pass/Fail basis.