The University of Washington School of Medicine and Gonzaga University Health Partnership is committed to advancing health related research, entrepreneurship and interprofessional health sciences teaching in Spokane. Thanks to the generosity of Dean and Vicki Allen, through the McKinstry Fellows Research Program we have funding to support interdisciplinary and/or interprofessional research teams consisting of students and faculty mentors as they tackle probing health-related questions that are affecting society today.
- Christina Garbuz (GU Class of 2024) & Ethan Jones (UW-SOM Class of 2026), research mentors: Drs. Janet Zhang-Lea (GU), Jacqui Crissey (GU), & Megan Lewis (UW-SOM), “Understanding association between global warming and running injury risk through measuring acute response of runners after heat exposure”.
- Surya Sankar (GU Class of 2024) & Claire Schaef (UW SOM Class of 2026), research mentors: Drs. Wutzke (GU) & Daryl Potyk (UW-SOM), “The Influence of Lower Extremity Force Production on Balance and Fear of Falling in Older Adults and People with Parkinson's Disease”
- Makenna Edwards (GU Class of 2023), research mentor: Dr. Clint Wutzke, “Reliability of the Walking Trail Making Test Among Unimpaired Young Adults, Older Adults, and People with Parkinson's Disease”.
- Meagan Johnson (UW School of Medicine Class of 2025), research mentor: Dr. McCarthy & Prof. Toby Keys, “How Can We Better Support and Mentor Medical Students of Color?: Investigating the Preceptor Perspective”.
- Sarah Maeda (GU Class of 2023), research mentor: Dr. McCarthy & Prof. Toby Keys, “How Can Community Preceptors Best Support Medical Students of Color? An Exploration of the Experiences of Preceptors in Rural and Underserved Clinical Sites”.
- Logan Wehrman (GU Class of 2023), research mentor: Dr. Clint Wutzke, “Association Between Walking and Executive Function in People with Parkinson's Disease”.