Residence Life & University Dining

Housing Accommodations

Gonzaga University provides residence life accommodations for students with disabilities that demonstrate a need for specific types of residences. Please click here to follow the Disability Access Process for securing accommodations to request specific residence accommodations. Note that residence accommodations have the following deadlines:

  • For current Freshmen and students transferring to Gonzaga, the deadline by which a student should contact our office regarding a Housing request is December 15 of the current academic year.
  • For current Sophomores and Juniors, the deadline by which a student should contact our office regarding a Housing request is November 1 of the current academic year.
  • For incoming Freshmen, the deadline by which a student should contact our office regarding a Housing request is May 15 of the current academic year.

Requests made after these deadlines will still be considered, but are not guaranteed.

Disability Access asks the Residence Life office to place the student in any room that can fulfill the accommodation needs of that student, we do not ask Residence Life to place a student in a particular residence hall as an accommodation.

Single Room Requests

Single rooms are not granted based on a need for quiet study space. Residence halls are designed as living spaces. We ask students who need very quiet environments for study to seek other places on campus that are designated as quiet study areas.

All other single room requests should be requested using the Disability Access Process for Securing Accommodations.

Meal Plan Exemption

Exemption from the Gonzaga University meal plan is only granted in cases where a medical condition or disability prevents a student from meeting dietary needs through Gonzaga dining services. Exemptions requests are reviewed by the Meal Plan Exemption Committee which includes representatives from Disability Access, Residence Life, Sodexho Management, and a Registered Dietician. The process for requesting a meal plan exemption is available by clicking here: Meal Plan Exemption Form.

Things to keep in mind:

  • If you know about restricted dietary needs in advance please click here for meal plans, and make a meal plan decision based on those needs. If something changes with your health or you feel you need a plan that is not listed, please contact us.
  • Disability Access does not grant a full exemption or modification for financial reasons, contact Residence Life as they already have a process in place for those cases.
    See Disability Access's documentation guidelines: Disability Access will not accept documentation from a medical professional that merely states that a meal plan exemption is required as supporting evidence enough to provide such an exemption. We require a diagnosis, diagnostic criteria, and symptoms of the condition, especially atypical symptoms. With this information, narrative from/discussion with the student, and engagement with dinning service staff, appropriate accommodation will be determined.

Emotional Support and Service Animal Policy

Information regarding this policy is available here: Gonzaga University Assistance and Service Animal Policy for Students

Notes for students requesting emotional support animals:

  • Disability Access needs a letter from the medical practitioner who diagnosed your condition that shows the need for a comfort animal. The letter should articulate the need for the animal based on your medical condition. This letter should not say (simply): “In my professional opinion, due to [the student's] condition, [the student] needs a comfort/emotional support animal.” Rather it needs to articulate why, based on the diagnosis, a comfort animal would be an accommodation for your condition. For example: “[The student] has been diagnosed with [condition X]. [Condition X] causes [the student] to have the following symptoms: A,B,C. We have found that through [some means] having a ‘comfort animal (of type) Y’ in [the student's] living area reduces or alleviates those symptoms.”
  • See letter: Example letter from HUD concerning support animals.
  • Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions (509) 313-4134.