In case of a fire, medical, or police emergency, or any situation that presents an immediate threat to life and property, the Spokane emergency number should be called immediately. Call 911 (9-911 from campus extensions). After calling 911 and providing complete information, contact Security at ext. 2222 (313-2222 from non-campus phones). Security officers work with emergency responders at the scene, providing assistance with directions, building entry, crowd control, and information. In order to insure that emergency situations are handled in the best way possible, it is vital that both 911 and Campus Security are notified in a timely manner. Situations involving unusual or suspicious activity on campus should be reported directly to Campus Security.
When calling 911, be prepared to give the following information:
- Your name and phone number and exact location. Specify that you are on the Gonzaga campus. Know the name of the building that you are in, as well as the street address or the closest cross streets. The 911 operator and emergency responders may not be familiar with the campus
- The nature of your emergency, including who, what, how, when, and where
- For a police emergency, tell the operator if suspects are still present and what the immediate level of threat is. If the suspects have left the scene, give a complete description and direction of travel if possible. Give any vehicle information. Tell the operator if any weapons were seen or used
- For a fire, tell the operator if there is visible smoke or fire, what type of building it is and if there are injuries.
- For a medical, give the age and condition of the victim, as well as what caused the situation (seizure, slip and fall, car accident, etc.).
- Tell the 911 operator that you will be notifying Security (then do so after hanging up)
The 911 operators need specific information in a specific order. You can do the greatest good by following their lead and being calm, concise and complete.
When calling the Security dispatcher, be prepared to give the following information:
- Your name and location on campus, as well as a call back number
- The nature of your situation, including who, what, how, when and where
- For emergency situations, specify whether you have called 911 and what the immediate level of threat is
- Any other information that will assist the Security officer in responding to and handling the situation