College of Arts and Sciences
Department of Religious Studies
Degree: B. A. in Religious Studies
The Religious Studies major will:
- Interpret the Biblical text theologically, literarily, and historically by the applying the exegetical methods of literary and narrative analysis, form criticism, source criticism, and historical analysis.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the discrete content of Scripture.
- Identify, interpret, and explain the central religious themes of each course in Christian theology.
- Construct reasoned theological responses to theological questions.
- Identify, explain and apply basic moral principles of Christian Ethics to selected contemporary issues in economics, politics, medicine, sexuality, and/or the environment.
- Write a research paper that:
- articulates and defends a thesis statement in a cogent and persuasive manner,
- makes good use of primary and secondary sources, and
- correctly employs the MLA or Chicago Manual of Style.
- Present oral arguments that are informed, clear, and persuasive.