College of Arts and Sciences
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Degrees: B. A. in Chemistry, B.S. in Chemistry and B.S. in Biochemistry
The Chemistry and Biochemistry major will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental concepts in the sub disciplines of organic, inorganic, analytical, and physical chemistry, and biochemistry.
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate knowledge learned in discipline-specific courses.
- Understand and follow safe laboratory procedures.
- Demonstrate practical laboratory skills which include maintaining complete experimental records, competency in performing experimental techniques, and utilizing modern chemical instrumentation.
- Develop proficiency in analyzing and interpreting data, and making reasonable conclusions.
- Demonstrate the ability to access, search, and use the chemical literature and other chemical information resources.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate scientific information in written, oral and visual forms.
- Understand and follow ethical practices in science.
- Demonstrate awareness of the broader impacts of chemistry on society.
- Be able to obtain a career in science or pursue further graduate or professional studies.
- Biochemistry majors will demonstrate competency in the biochemistry laboratory and demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts in molecular biology.
- B.S. Chemistry and B.S. Biochemistry students pursuing an ACS approved degree will demonstrate the ability to independently plan and execute experiments to contribute new knowledge to the advancement of science.