Student majoring in the following fields are required to take the ALEKS Placement Assessment:
- Business (Business Administration and concentrations, and Accounting)
- Computer Science Degrees
- Human Physiology
ALEKS is an online, adaptive system that covers a broad spectrum of mathematics topics. The length of the placement assessment will vary, but can be up to 30 questions. You will see some, but not all, of the math topics you have learned in high school. It is a placement assessment, not a preview of math courses at Gonzaga. It is designed to identify if you are prepared for a particular course. After you take your first assessment, you will have the opportunity to review and master additional topics to reassess and improve your score and knowledge.
- Real numbers (including fractions, integers, and percentages)
- Equations and inequalities (including linear equations, linear inequalities, systems of linear equations, and quadratic equations),
- Linear and quadratic functions (including graphs and functions, linear functions, and parabolas), exponents and polynomials (including integer exponents, polynomial arithmetic, factoring, and polynomial equations), rational expressions (including rational equations and rational functions
- Radical expressions (including higher roots and rational exponents)
- Exponentials and logarithms (including function compositions and inverse functions, properties of logarithms, and logarithmic equations)
- Geometry and trigonometry (including perimeter, area, and volume, coordinate geometry, trigonometric functions, and identities and equations).
You will receive your score immediately upon completion of your assessment. Your ALEKS score can be viewed by re-entering ALEKS using the same access link you were sent to complete the assessment. Your scores are automatically added to your student profile, which is accessible by advisors in the Office of Academic Advising, who will place you in your first semester courses.
This is a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the Prep and Learning Modules offered within ALEKS. An individualized study plan will be created based on your performance on the initial assessment. ALEKS will identify what you know and what you are ready to learn next so you can brush up on lost knowledge.