The search for Gonzaga University’s Vice President for Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer is currently underway. As this search progresses, this website will provide our Gonzaga community updates on the work of the committee and the status of the search.
About the Vice President for Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer Position
The position of Vice President for Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer at Gonzaga University requires an experienced senior administrator who demonstrates an unqualified commitment to foster, promote, enhance, and maintain the Jesuit, Catholic, and humanistic identity of the University as expressed in its mission, vision, and strategic plan. The Vice President for Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer will work collaboratively with other executive leaders in the University to coordinate institutional strategic and intentional planning, fiscal decision making, and resource allocation efforts that support the goals of the University.
Concomitant to pursuit of the University’s vision, mission, and strategic plans, the Vice President for Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer is expected to:
- Provide and nurture creative, dynamic, and visionary leadership;
- be an excellent listener, engaging intentionally with members of the University community to understand the culture and systems at work; work to build trust with various campus partners;
- create a transparent and inclusive culture;
- manage transition processes associated with change initiatives;
- and champion diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Vice President for Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer actively promotes the mission and values of Gonzaga through effective leadership of the Human Resources function, advising the President and other executives on a wide variety of HR related issues, and providing visionary, collaborative leadership on institution -wide strategy and goals.
The Vice President for Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer reports to the President, is a member of the President’s Executive Leadership Team, and will be charged with leading major institutional initiatives that will inform strategic directionsetting and resource prioritization and allocation.
The VP/CHRO will oversee a Human Resources department of 22+ people, including the areas of Benefits and Wellness, Client Services, HR Data and Systems, and Organizational Development, with an operating budget of $35.9 million, of which $34 million represents the central university benefits budget.
Following is detailed information about the Vice President for Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer search process, currently underway:
- January 2022
- Search Committee formed
- February 2022
- Search Committee meeting
- Candidate file and information review
- Interview materials developed
- Position posted and leadership profile developed and shared
- February 18, 2022: Official search begins
- March 2022
- March 24 and 31, 2022: Search Committee workshops and trainings
- April 2022
- April 4, 2022: Target date for full consideration of applications
- April 6, 2022: Search Committee meeting to select short list for preliminary interviews and identify interview question theme areas
- May 2022
- Week of May 9, 2022: Finalist campus visits and candidate interviews
- Candidate selected and notified by President McCulloh
Following is a list of committee members for the Vice President for Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer position (as of 2/25/2022):
- Michelle Wheatley, Vice President - Mission Integration (Committee Chair)
- Cindy Perry, Assistant to the Vice President/Division Budget Officer - Mission Integration (staff to the search committee)
- Kari Elgee-Sanders, Employment Manager - Human Resources
- Whitney Franklin, Director of Special Events - University Advancement & Staff Assembly President
- Mike Hazel, Associate Professor, Communications and Leadership Studies
- Robin Kelley, Chief Diversity Officer
- Julie McCulloh, Associate Provost – Enrollment Management
- Maureen McGuire, Corporate Council
- Bryan Pham, S.J., Assistant Professor of Law, Member of the Jesuit Board of Members, and Trustee
- Megan Self, Purchasing Manager - Purchasing Department
- Charlita Shelton, Chief of Staff to the President
- Joe Smith, Chief Finance Officer
- Danielle Xu, Professor of Finance – Business