Institutional Review Board - IRB
Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Partnering with you to make scholarly inquiry a reality
Welcome to GU's Institutional Review Board (IRB).
Contact Information: IRB@gonzaga.edu
The IRB is an administrative Board established to oversee human research conducted under the auspices of this institution. The policies of the GU IRB are also designed to protect University members, students who conduct research under supervision, and community partners who conduct research activities affiliated with Gonzaga University. The IRB at Gonzaga University is represented by interdisciplinary faculty and community members that have received training and certification to conduct and evaluate research. Additionally, they represent expertise in working with vulnerable categories of subjects and represent expertise in scientific and nonscientific areas. The IRB has the authority to approve, require modifications in, or disapprove all research activities that fall within its jurisdiction as specified by both the federal regulations and local institutional policy. The IRB also functions independently of but in coordination with other committees across the university and in the community. This jurisdiction is defined by and comes from the Office of Human Research Protection (OHRP), the federal agency within the Department of Health and Human Services that oversees Institutional Review Boards.
The IRB at Gonzaga University functions within the guidelines provided and reviews research as defined by OHRP. Research is defined as a "systematic investigation, including research development, testing and evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge."
Projects that meet any dimension of the OHRP definition of research need to complete and submit an IRB Protocol for review and approval. Please follow the following procedures in submitting an IRB protocol for review:
1. Complete the Word or PDF version of the Cover Sheet.
2. Complete the new protocol submission form (either Exempt or Non Exempt).
3. Carefully complete the protocol addressing all of the required content found in each section
- Attach instruments, interview guides, observation script/guides or other tools used in gathering data
- Attach Informed Consent Form
- Attach Informed Assent Form (if you are including/working with minors)
- Attach letters of support if partnering or gathering data at other institutions (i.e. schools, hospitals, prisons, other organizations)
4. Electronically send the completed protocol submission to the Gonzaga IRB: IRB@gonzaga.edu