OVERVIEW OF GRANT SEEKING OFFICES/STAFF
Sponsored Research and Programs; University Advancement, Development; Controller's Office
Sponsored Research and Programs (SRP)
- Service office for faculty and staff who want to fund their creative, scholarly, service, and/or research efforts in research, programs, or projects that meet the mission of the University.
- Responsible for securing funding from public grant makers (government agencies--grant awards and contracts). Collaborates with University Advancement, Development to secure funding from private sources (foundations, corporations, alumni, etc.).
- In collaboration with the Controller's Office, protects the interests of the University, departments, and individual grant seekers.
Joann Waite, Director, 5870, firstname.lastname@example.org: Joann is the lead contact for faculty and is liaison with the AVP. Her team can help you with grant research and outreach to funding agencies as well as suggest potential collaborators. SRP can provide assistance with institutional matching, if the grantor requires or recommends cost-share. Before you submit (pre-award), Joann manages internal approvals through the Internal Approval Document (IAD) process, which is required of all grants submitted at Gonzaga University (public and private). For public grants, her staff will help you prepare and submit a professional, polished proposal. Joann will help you develop your proposal budget and will, in collaboration with GU Corporate Counsel, help you create contracts for funding . After you submit (post-award), SRP staff will assist you with the administration of your grant through a meeting with the Controller's Office (Jackie Van Allen, GU Grant Accountant), assist in auditor-required compliance for both public and private grants, and help you seek further funding for your project.
Kathy Hill, Process Manager, 6098, email@example.com: Kathy can help you develop your project idea, research public funders, create a timeline for proposal preparation, interpret funder guidelines, and assist with writing, editing, and formatting your professional proposal.
Diane Farrell, Program Coordinator, 4065, firstname.lastname@example.org: Diane will help you register with federal agencies and upload documents to your electronic application. She carries the final burden of submitting your grant. (Often these uploads take several hours and, with some agencies, you do not get confirmation for days.) Grants.gov anticipates slower processing times due to increased activity on the system, so it is best that you plan to submit your grant at least 3-5 days ahead of the due date. Diane also does the final check on the full proposal and packages the documentation for your awarded grant prior to its transition to the Controller's Office to fulfill fiscal responsibility.
University Advancement, Development
- Responsible for securing funding from private sources (foundations, corporations, alumni, etc.).
Carroll Deason, Director, Univ. Advancement--Leadership Gifts, 5983, email@example.com: Carroll can help you develop your project idea, research funders, and assist with G.U.'s Internal approval document (IAD) and with writing, editing, and formatting your professional, privately-funded proposal. After you submit (post-award), she will meet with you and Jackie Van Allen to review the grant award documentation and begin the process of managing your grant funds. She will help you with required reports and other donor stewardship efforts (i.e., event invitations, holiday cards, site visits, etc.).
- If your grant is awarded, the staff of the Controller's office will meet with you to review the grant award documentation and begin the process of managing your grant funds in partnership with various campus offices (Payroll, Gift Accounting, etc.). You will work with them to provide financial information for any required reports.
Kevin Mann, Controller, 6803, firstname.lastname@example.org: Kevin oversees the Controller's Office and is Gonzaga University's authorized approver for all financial documents from the Controller's Office.
Michelle Soss, Assistant Controller, 6371, soss@gonzaga,edu: Michelle reviews and approves reconciliations of grant financial reports as prepared by the grant accountant.
Jackie Van Allen, Grant Accountant, 6808, email@example.com: Jackie is the lead contact on grant post-awards and assists with grant management. She creates a general ledger fund number and is responsible for reviewing and approving all expenses related to federal and non-federal grants. She prepares reconciliations of federal grant financial reports with supporting accounting records and completes electronic filing to federal agencies. Non-federal grants requiring financial information should be reviewed by the Controller’s Office before being submitted to the granting agency.
Last update: 14 April 2015