MANDATORY INTERNATIONAL STUDENT & SCHOLAR ORIENTATION
The Gonzaga University International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) office looks forward to welcoming you to campus this fall! ISSS is here to assist you with achieving your personal and academic goals while you’re in the United States. We provide pre and post arrival orientation, immigration and academic advising, cultural adjustment workshops, job placement assistance, fun social activities, and much more. Please feel free to contact our office anytime! firstname.lastname@example.org
Before your arrival in Spokane, Washington, please be sure to check the following:
- Have you arranged your housing? Visit this page if you need more information.
- If you plan to live on campus, be sure to complete the Early Arrival Form for 2014-2015 here and send it to email@example.com
ORIENTATION AND ARRIVING IN SPOKANE:
- When you purchase your plane ticket, be sure to complete the airport pickup form and pay the $10 airport pickup fee. If you do so, one of our staff members will come pick you up at the airport, show you where you can buy groceries, and show you where orientation will take place. You can also purchase linens (sheets, towel, pillow, etc.) on the same page for $45.
- Plan to arrive in Spokane on January 10 or January 11, 2015. If you arrive earlier, your on-campus accommodations may NOT be available, and you will need to stay in a hotel.
- The mandatory Orientation will be held on Monday, Jnaury 12 from 2:30 p.m. – 5 p.m. Optional activities are available until later in the evening. (you will be receiving the complete schedule in late December- check your e-mail)
- Send your passport size picture to firstname.lastname@example.org before December 31: this way you will have your Student ID ready at orientation!
- Immunization Forms: Gonzaga's Immunization Form which is REQUIRED for all Gonzaga students. Please have your doctor complete the form, and bring it with you to campus. We will assist you with submission of the form to the Health Center. You can download the form here.
- J-1 & F-1 visa students & Exchange Scholars are required to carry insurance that pays at least $100,000 per accident or illness, $25,000 for repatriation of remains, $50,000 for medical evacuation to home country, and a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness. Purchasing Gonzaga medical insurance will fulfill this requirement. Medical expenses are high in the U.S. You must have enough coverage to pay for unexpected accident/medical costs while in the U.S. There will be no exceptions to this requirement. Consider these costs as a mandatory part of your educational expenses.
- PLEASE BRING PROOF OF MEDICAL INSURANCE TO ORIENTATION! If you decide to purchase Gonzaga’s medical insurance, please let us know during orientation. Please note that if you are part of a sponsored program, your insurance is part of your program.
The weather in Spokane is typically cold, but sunny. Have a look at what the weather is usually like here so that you can decide what to put in your suitcase.
Check out these links for more information:
- Visit our website
- 'Like' us on Facebook: the new Gonzaga International Student & Scholar page is where you can connect with existing students and learn about upcoming events
- Visit the International Zags blog for information about Spokane, on-campus events, and more
- Check out our Twitter for upcoming events!
Meet the ISSS Staff!
Emma Butterworth is the International Student Wellness Assistant and works with all international students. Contact Emma if you have questions about housing, airport pickup, or orientation email@example.com or +1 509 313 6236.
Sarah Alami is the International Student & Scholar Coordinator and Immigration Advisor, and works primarily with graduate and non-matriculated exchange and visiting students. Contact Sarah at: firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 509 313 5584.
Amber McKenzie-O'Neill, M.A. is the Director, and works primarily with visiting scholars and professors. Contact Amber at: email@example.com or +1 509 313 5560.
International Students & Scholar Services
Spokane, WA 99258-0088
Toll Free: (800) 986-9585
Phone: (509) 313-3648
Fax: (509) 313-5814