About the Program
In this program, students prepare for entry-level positions in this ever changing, global field of sport related, professional industries. Sport Management majors are those who run the show at the sport events—from the planning to marketing and game day operations, those are our people. Our majors typically also pursue an academic minor in areas ranging from public relations, general business, to communications and more. Professional internships are the highlight of our program where students gain hands on experience in various sport organizations across the country or world, depending on their sights. Within the Spokane area, there are numerous opportunities for students to gain experiences in event and facility operations, club management, sport promotions, community relations and recreation, youth sports, and college athletics or professional sport franchises. By graduation, you will possess a strong theoretical base as well as practical management hands on learning in health, fitness and sport related organizations.
Gonzaga University's Sport Management program offers its students the benefits of:
- Small class sizes. We strive to keep our class sizes small to create more hands-on classroom experiences, expand relationships, and provide networking opportunities with fellow students and faculty members.
- Experienced based curriculum to best prepare our undergraduate students to be leaders in the industry through application of course material to industry situations.
- Widespread industry connections for practicum and internship experiences with organizations such as the Spokane Chiefs, Spokane Indians, and the YMCA, in addition to major Spokane area events such as HoopFest and Bloomsday.
Careers in Sport Management
- Amateur Sport Teams/Organizations
- Professional Sport Teams/Organizations
- Sport/Fitness Clubs
- Sport Venue and Facility Organizations
- Parks and Recreation Departments
- Sport Media Organizations
- Universities/Colleges Athletics
This program opens doors to careers with sport teams and leagues, college athletic programs, sports and fitness clubs, parks and recreation departments, national and international amateur sport organizations, and firms specializing in sport marketing, sport sponsorship, facility management and event management.