Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

As a graduate student, how do I apply for graduation?

Log into Zagweb to access the electronic application. See "How to Apply to Graduate" for detailed instructions. If you have questions about the application process please contact Please note that Students who have a Financial Hold on their account will not be able to apply on Zagweb until the Hold has been resolved.

If you are unable to apply due to a HOLD on your student account, please contact Evan Schanzenbach immediately - or (509) 313-6593. Please be sure to include your name, your GU ID number and your telephone number in your message.

A $75 application fee will be assessed to your student account if the application is received by the posted deadline. For any application received after the posted deadline, there is an additional $25 late fee. Information regarding all commencement related matters may be obtained at the Degree Evaluation Office website and at the Commencement website.

Please note: All students who anticipate the completion of their degree or certificate requirements must apply to graduate in order to have the degree or certificate granted.


I am planning to graduate next year. When do I apply to graduate?

All students wishing to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony must have all degree requirements complete between January and December. When completing your Graduation Application please apply for the term in which you will be completing you degree requirements: March, May, June (Summer I), August (Full Summer and Summer II), October or December. Please refer to the graduation deadlines.


What happens once I apply to graduate?

Once your application has been processed, a degree evaluation of all of your academic course work is run. This includes your Gonzaga courses and any transfer work you have completed against the requirements that are shown under the particular catalogue for which you entered. The report is sent to your Program Director in order that he/she can determine whether or not you have met all requirements for your particular program as well as any required foundation courses. The Program Director works with our office in determining proper substitution/waivers for your degree. If there are questions regarding your academic progress, please contact your Program Director. A listing of these individuals is included in the previous section. Once it has been determined that you have met your requirements to graduate, your degree will be posted for the appropriate semester. Your diploma along with an official student copy of your transcript will be mailed to your permanent mailing address approximately eight weeks after the last day of classes for the term in which your degree is granted.

Additional diplomas may be ordered at the Duplicate Diploma Request page for a fee of $30.00.


What if I will not meet my requirements by the date I applied?

Your Program Director will be in close contact with you regarding your academic requirements for graduation. If it is ascertained that you will not fulfill all degree requirements by the date for which you applied to graduate, please contact the Academic Degree Evaluation Office ( or to change your degree date. Please include your GU ID number and the degree date you believe you will be complete. There is no fee involved in this process.


What if I wish to transfer work to Gonzaga from another institution to meet some of my requirements?

Graduate programs may accept up to one-fifth of the total number of credits required for a degree from another accredited college or university; six credits for most degree programs. Course work must be of graduate level as shown on the official transcript and must have been taken within the last five years. The subject matter of courses transferred must be relevant to the degree or requirement in question, which is determined by your Program Director. A minimum grade of a B (P grades must be defined as B or better) must be earned. Courses previously applied to a degree are not transferable to the student’s current program. It is important to note that all credits converted to semester credits are not rounded up and are awarded only after the official approval for transfer of the course has been obtained on the Permission to Transfer Graduate Credits form. Transfer credit forms are available from your Program Director.


What if I wish to order my diploma under a different name?

Your diploma reflects the name in which your records are recorded in the Registrar’s Office. If you wish to use an alternate name, a name change must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office, CG 229. You will need to provide a social security card and government issued picture identification reflecting this new name, along with a completed form, before a name change is processed.

Registrar's Office
College Hall Rm 229
502 E Boone Ave
Spokane, WA 99258
(509) 313-6592


What do I need to know about Commencement Weekend?

For all Commencement information, go to the Commencement section and follow instructions. Do check out the Graduate Commencement page.

Academic honors are not awarded to graduate students.

Gonzaga is proud to contract with Herff Jones as the supplier for graduate academic attire (cap and gown) and Jostens for Doctoral attire and announcement needs. A late fee will be incurred for any late orders. Information regarding caps, gowns and announcements can be obtained through the website addresses of:

Doctoral Attire: Students eligible to participate in the Commencement Ceremony will be emailed a link to order academic attire.


What if the address to which I want my diploma mailed has changed?

If your permanent mailing address has changed from the time your graduation application was submitted, to avoid unnecessary delays in the mailing of your diploma, make sure you send an email to,, or call us at 1-800-793-1723, extension 6593 or 3543 to change your address. To reach us locally, please call (509) 313-6593 or (509) 313-3543. Or you may stop by CG 234 and change the address on your application prior to leaving campus. Please provide your GU ID number. You may also make a change to your permanent address through Zagweb.


What if I have a financial hold on my student account?

Per University policy, financial holds must be cleared before your diploma may be released to you.


How do I accurately reflect my degree information to potential employers?

Resume Preparation and Entering Degree Information on Job/Graduate School Applications

Misrepresentation in the marketplace has become epidemic and remains a chronic and worrisome problem for employers in this country. As a result, more and more employers are verifying academic information that appears on resumes and employment applications.

You, as a prospective graduate of Gonzaga University, should know that anyone can verify your directory information, including dates of attendance, majors, and degrees granted by contacting the Office of the Registrar. This information may not be restricted once your enrollment at Gonzaga ends, so it is open to the public for verification.

It is imperative that you accurately reflect your degree, majors and dates of attendance on your resume and on job or graduate school applications at all times. You should not indicate that you have a degree if you have not actually received a transcript with the degree posted; instead, you should indicate the expected completion date, e.g. “Degree Expected, May 2018.” Once you have received notice from the Academic Degree Evaluation office that your degree has been granted, you can explicitly indicate that you have graduated. As well, once your degree has been granted it will be reflected on your student record in Zagweb.

If you have not received a diploma eight weeks from your expected degree date, please review your academic record and degree evaluation on Zagweb. If you have deficiencies please contact your program director. For additional assistance you may contact the Academic Degree Evaluation office.

Remember, the University reserves the right to withhold student diplomas until said student’s account has been paid in full.


Who do I contact in my program for further questions?

If you have additional questions contact your Graduate Program Director or the Academic Degree Evaluation Office, CG 234, Mon-Tues/Thurs-Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Wednesday 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.