International Students Department at Gonzaga University
Dictionary of Multicultural EducationREF LC 1099 .D53 1997
Encyclopedia of Bilingualism and Bilingual Education.REF LC 3707.E53 1998
Encyclopedia of Education REF LB 15 .E47 2003
Handbook of Research on Multicultural EducationREF LC 1099.3.H35 1995
Language of Learning: A Guide to Education Terms REF LB15.M32 1997
Books For a Small Planet: Multicultural-Intercultural Bibliography for Young English Language Learners
Concepts in Composition: Theory and Practice in the the Teaching of English PE 1404 .C528 2003
Enriching ESL Pedagogy: Readings and Activities for Reading, Engagement and Inquiry PE 1128 .A2 E58 2002
ESL: a Handbook for Teachers and Administrators NetLibrary Resource
Implementing the ESL Standards for PreK-12 Students through Teacher Education PE 1128 .A2 I55 2000
Managing The Assessment Process: A Framework for Measuring Student Attainment of the ESL Standards PE 1128 .A2 M36 1998
Multicultural Issues in Literacy Research and Practice LC 151 .M85 2003
The Practice of English Language Teaching PE 1128 .A2 H34 2001
Program Standards for Adult ESOL Programs PE 1128 .A2 P76 2000
Research Methods for English Language Teachers PE 1128 .A2 M384 1997
Scenarios for ESL Standards Based Assessment PE 1128 .A2 S316 2000
Teaching Language: From Grammar to Grammaring PE 1128 .A2 L348 2003
Training Others to Use the ESL Standards: A Professional Development Manual PE 1128.A2 T73 2000
Practical resources for the K-12 teachers are housed in the Curriculum Center on the 2nd Floor.
- Curriculum Guides from various agencies
- Textbooks for various subjects, K-12
- Lesson plans, units and other teaching aids in book, video, or other formats
- Games and manipulative items
- Juvenile literature
- Bibliographies of juvenile literature by subject or topic
- Computer software, videos and cassettes for use with preK-12 student
Indexes and Databases:
These sources help you locate specific topics in journals and magazines. Indexes are arranged by subject headings and may also include authors and titles of articles. Some indexes have thesauri to identify preferred terms used by the index. These are just a few of the indexes and abstracts available at the Foley Center.
- Academic Search Premier
- Provides full text for nearly 4,600 scholarly publications, including full text for more than 3,500 peer-reviewed journals in virtually every area of academic study.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
- This database provides the most robust, quality research solution in areas related to communication and mass media.
- CQ Weekly
- Covers hot topics, with reports written for and about the U.S. Congress
- ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center )
- Contains over 2,200 digests, references for additional information, citations and abstracts from over 980 educational and education-related journals. Articles with accession numbers beginning with ED are also available downstairs at the Foley Center Library in microfiche.
- Education Index in print at PER L 11.E38 1929-present.
- Provides access to indexes and databases, including: ERIC, ArticleFirst, GPO, and others.
- Ingenta lists the "Table of Contents" from over 25,000academic journals and includes the full-text for many journals. Searchable by journal name, keyword, titles of article or author.
- National Newspapers
- For those fact-based news stories from The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times and the Christian Science Monitor.
- Newspaper Source
- Selected full text for 25 national (U.S.) and international newspapers, full text television & radio news transcripts, along with selected full text for more than 200 regional (U.S.) newspapers.
- PAIS International
- Interdisciplinary index to current periodical articles, books, government publications, relating to public issues and policies. Useful in economic, political science and public administration research.
- ProQuest Direct
- Full-text and full-image format covering a wide range of subject areas. Newspapers are also covered, including selected Washington State newspapers.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection
- 550 full text journals, including more than 500 peer-reviewed titles--covers topics such as emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods.
- Sociological Abstracts
- in print at PER HM1.S67 1953-1996. Sociological Abstracts is a collection of non-evaluative abstracts reflecting the world's periodical literature in sociology and related disciplines. It indexes over 500 journals.
- Easier to Read Articles Available in these databases below
- MasterFILE Premier
- Designed specifically for public libraries, this multidisciplinary database provides full text for more than 2,050 general reference publications with full text information dating as far back as 1975. Covering virtually every subject area of general interest, MasterFILE Premier also includes more than 350 full text reference books, 84,074 biographies, 86,132 primary source documents, and an Image Collection of 107,135 photos, maps and flags.
- Topic Search
- This current events database allows researchers to explore social, political & economic issues, scientific discoveries and other popular topics discussed in today's classrooms. TOPICsearch contains full text for over 78,000 articles from more than 3,000 diverse sources, including more than 1,550 full text periodicals.
- Periodicals @ Foley
- Click here to search subject-specific preiodicals!
Bilingual Research JournalAll issues are available in full-text from 1996 to the present in Proquest
Forum: A Journal for the Teacher of English Outside of the U.S. (1995-Present) US I.A 1.17 Forum is a quarterly journal for teachers of English as a foreign or second language. It publishes articles on theory and practice, as well as book and software reviews. It is available online at http://exchanges.state.gov/englishteaching/forum-journal.html. Forum is a government document and is available on the first floor of the Foley Library. N.B.: While searching Forum, you may also want to use the U.S. State Department's online journal Language and Civil Society. It includes lesson plans that are suitable for students at the intermediate level on a wide variety of topics.
TJ focuses on providing the ESL teacher with articles about teaching methods, best practices, and professional development, and other useful information. NB: TJ will change its title to Essential Teacher in Fall of 2003.
TQ is for the graduate student and/or professor who is searching for peer-reviewed articles on theoretical and practical aspects of teaching English as a second or foreign language.
TESOL Quarterlyfull-text in CD format
The full text of TESOL Quarterly from 1967 to 1998 is on permanent reserve at the circulation desk. The Quarterly is on compact disc. It can be checked out for three hours, and the loan period is renewable. Note: Issues of the TESOL Quarterly from 1999 to the present are available in print format on the lower level of the Foley Library (PER PE 1128 .A2 T454).
Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (http://www.tesol.org/). One of the best ESL resources on the Internet, this page features information on how to start your career, job listings, and ESL standards. Membership in TESOL offers significant perks.
The ESL readers are located on the 2nd floor of the library in the PZ 2.1-PZ 2.6 section. If you are teaching a class, these books will help your students sharpen their speaking and writing skills. Please remember that the digit after the two in the call number is assigned to note the general reading level of the book. A one (1) designates the book as an "easy reader". The highest level is six (6) which requires an advanced level of fluency.