Guidebooks and Reference Material | Dictionaries & Encyclopedias | Databases | Statistical Sources | Tests | Certification | Directories | Curriculum Center | Web Sites
School of Education at Gonzaga University
Guidebooks to Information Sources
Determine if the library has a handbook for the broad subject area or discipline which would encompass the topic you are researching. Handbooks will identify and discuss the reference sources, periodical indexes, bibliographies and major publications pertinent to research in that area.
- Concepts in Composition: Theory and Practice in the the Teaching of English PE 1404 .C528 2003
Enriching ESL Pedagogy: Readings and Activities for Reading, Engagement and Inquiry PE 1128 .A2 E58 2002
ESL: a Handbook for Teachers and Administrators NetLibrary Resource
Implementing the ESL Standards for PreK-12 Students through Teacher Education PE 1128 .A2 I55 2000
Managing The Assessment Process: A Framework for Measuring Student Attainment of the ESL Standards PE 1128 .A2 M36 1998
Multicultural Issues in Literacy Research and Practice LC 151 .M85 2003
The Practice of English Language Teaching PE 1128 .A2 H34 2001
Program Standards for Adult ESOL Programs PE 1128 .A2 P76 2000
Research Methods for English Language Teachers PE 1128 .A2 M384 1997
Scenarios for ESL Standards Based Assessment PE 1128 .A2 S316 2000
Successful Dissertations and Theses: A Guide to Graduate Student Research from Proposal to Completion REF LB 2369.M32 1992
- Teaching Language: From Grammar to Grammaring PE 1128 .A2 L348 2003
Training Others to Use the ESL Standards: A Professional Development Manual PE 1128.A2 T73 2000
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Use these sources to define terms, obtain background information, identify issues and get names or dates, and identify further sources in a topic area.
Encyclopedia of Bilingualism and Bilingual Education. REF LC3707.E53 1998
Encyclopedia of Education REF LB 15 .E47 2003
International Encyclopedia of Curriculum. REF LB570.I5676 1991
International Encyclopedia of Education. REF LB15.I569 1994
International Encyclopedia of the Sociology of Education. REF LC191.I49 1997
International Encyclopedia of Educational Technology, 2nd edition. REF LB1028.3.I567 1996
Critical Dictionary of Educational Concepts. REF LB15.B29 1986
Language of Learning: A Guide to Education Terms. REF LB15.M32 1997
Periodical Indexes and Abstracts Indexes and abstracts help you locate articles on specific topics in journals and magazines. Indexes to journal articles are often discipline-oriented in their coverage, and both ERIC and the Education Index primarily focus on the field of education and related fields of study. Because education has many multi-disciplinary aspects, other disciplinary indexes may also be useful, depending upon the research topic. Many periodical indexes are available on the Foley Library homepage under "Indexes and Databases."
- Academic Search Premier
- Provides full text for nearly 4,600 scholarly publications, including full text for more than 3,500 peer-reviewed journals in virtually every area of academic study.
- ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center)
- Contains over 2,200 digests, references for additional information, citations and abstracts from over 980 educational and education-related journals. Articles with accession numbers beginning with ED are also available downstairs at the Foley Center Library in microfiche.
- TESOL Quarterly
- Click here for instant access to online holdings from 2001-2005. If you want to access earlier TESOL articles (1967-1998) please go to Foley's Reserves/Circulation desk, and ask for the TESOL CD-ROM (PE 1128. A2 T454).
- Access to 12 excellent Education journals including the TESOL Quarterly.
- Professional Development Collection.
- Designed for professional educators, this database provides a highly specialized collection of more than 750 full text journals, including more than 350 peer-reviewed titles. Professional Development Collection is the most comprehensive collection of full text education journals in the world.
- ProQuest Direct.
- Includes summaries of articles from over 5,000 publications, with many articles in full-text, full-image format covering a wide range of subject areas. ProQuest also covers major national newspapers as well as selected articles from newspapers in Spokane, Seattle and other cities in Washington State.
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection.
- This database provides coverage of nearly 550 full text journals, including more than 500 peer-reviewed titles, covering topics such as emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods. Nearly every full text title included in this database is indexed in PsycINFO. Updated daily via EBSCO host
- American Psychological Association's online index of journal articles, chapters, books, dissertations and reports on psychology and related fields. Coverage from 1887-present.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
- Test Locator & Test Review.
- From the Buros Institute, this online database has information on over 10,000 tests and research instruments. In addition, it provides citations to reviews of educational and psychological tests and measures. Located under 'Reference' on Foley Library's Indexes & Databases page.
Use these sources or similar ones to gather relevant statistics on your topic
Condition of Education. DOCS REF (annual) US ED1.109
Dictionary of Statistics and Methodology. REF HA 7.V64 1999
Education in States and Nations. DOCS US ED 1.102:N21 (1993-)
Education Statistics of the U.S. REF LB 2844.E38 2000
Educational Rankings. REF 2331.63.E34 2000-present
Fact Book on Higher Education. REF (annual) LA227.3.A44a 1974-77
Historical Statistics of the U.S., Colonial Times to 1970. REF HA202.B87 1975
NCES Statistical Standards. DOCS US ED 1.302: St 2
Statistical Abstract of the United States. DOCS REF (Latest at Ref. Desk) US C 3.134:
Washington State assessment program : grades 4, 8, and 11 : a five-year summary of achievement test trends in Washington school districts for the years 1993-1997. DOCS WA 370 Ed8fiv y 1993-97
Use these sources to identify published tests and assessments on a topic, including reviews. Note: Foley Center does not maintain a collection of tests.
Mental Measurements Yearbook. REF BF176.M46 1941-present.
Psychological Assessment in the Schools. STACKS BF 722.P 793 1994
Test Critiques. REF BF176.T419 v.1 1984-present.
Tests: A Comprehensive Reference for Assessments in Psychology, Education and Business.REF BF176.T43 1997 REF BF176.T43 1983-present.
Tests and Measurements in Child Development. REF BF 722.J64 1971
Tests in Print. REF BF176.T47 v.1-present.
Use the following reference books to determine the certification requirements for teachers and other school personnel in Washington and other states
Alternative Teacher Certification: A State by State Analysis 1998-99. REF LB1771.F45 1998
Requirements for Certification of Teachers, Counselors, Librarians, Administrators for Elementary and Secondary Schools. REF LB 1771.W6 (current year)
Teacher Certification Requirements in all 50 States. REF LB1771.T43 (current year)
These sources are helpful in obtaining information about schools, colleges and universities.
American Universities and Colleges. REF L901.A64 1997
Peterson's Guide to American Education. REF L901.P3
Peterson's Annual Guides/Undergraduate Study. REF L901.P47
Peterson's Guides/Graduate Study. REF L901.P444
College Catalog Collection (available on microfiche - ask at the Reference Desk)
Curriculum Center Sources
Practical resources for the K-12 teachers are housed in the Curriculum Center on the 2nd Floor.
Curriculum Guides from various agencies
Textbooks for various subjects, K-12
Lesson plans, units and other teaching aids in book, video, or other formats
Games and manipulative items
Bibliographies of juvenile literature by subject or topic
Computer software, videos and cassettes for use with preK-12 student
More and more resources are available on the Internet, including numerous federal and state publications, current statistics, lesson plans, education standards and other resources. Some important web sites are listed here.
- ERIC. (http://www.eric.ed.gov/)
- Provides resources for teachers, including lesson plans, educational programs, Internet sites and electronic discussion groups.
- Center for the Advancement of Ethics and Character. (http://www.bu.edu/education/caec/)
- Web site dedicates itself to "helping teachers, administrators, and parents build good character in today's students and tomorrow's leaders."
- Children's Literature Web Guide. (www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown)
- With resources in children's literature for teachers, librarians, scholars, parents and even children, the site's goal is to "use electronic resources to further the reading of books" by listing teaching ideas, award lists, discussion boards, commentary and reference sources.
- Developing Educational Standards. (http://circle.adventist.org/browse/resource.phtml?leaf=303)
- A comprehensive directory with links to national, state and local educational standards with standards listed by state and by subject area. Also links to education centers, clearinghouses and labs, as well as state-focused groups and other organizations including councils, federations and associations.
- Educator's Reference Desk
- The Educator's Reference desk is a project of the Information Institute of Syracuse and provides access to the following resources:
- Resource Collection-Links to resources on a variety of educational issues.
- Lesson Plans - Over 2,000 unique lesson plans written and submitted by teachers from all over the United States.
- Question Archive - A collection of over 200 responses to popular questions on the practice, theory, and research of education.
- ERIC Database - This is a web-based version of the ERIC Database, updated monthly.
- Eurybase. (www.eurydice.org)
- An excellent source of information for European educational regulations, higher education options, teacher requirements and statistics for the 15 countries of the European Union as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
- National Center for Education Statistics. (http://nces.ed.gov/edstats)
- Includes data from NCES sources including The Condition of Education, The Digest of Education Statistics, and Projections of Education Statistics.
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction. (www.k12.wa.us)
- Provides data, demographics, certification requirements, policies, legislation, publications, programs, strategies, standards and EALRs from the K-12 education office for the state of Washington.
- U.S. Department of Education. (www.ed.gov)
- A comprehensive site for resources with a focus on education issues for PreK-12, higher education, and career and lifelong learning, as well as resources for grants and contracts, research and statistics, policies and financial aid.
- U.S. Department of Education's Office of Educational Research and Improvement. (http://www.ed.gov/offices/OERI)
- Link to major education research and development centers, including a search engine whereby all or a select portion of their web sites can be searched.
Frederic Räuber 02/06
For additional print and online reference sources, use Reference Universe.