Library Reserve Policy Statement
The following policy governs Reserve Service at the Foley Library:
- Any member of the Gonzaga University instructional staff, administration, or official University organization (including Committees and Clubs) may request that an item be placed on Reserve at the Foley Library Circulation Desk.
- All materials placed on reserve will be for the non-commercial, educational usage of the Gonzaga University community. There will be no charge for access to reserve materials; the charge for copies made by students will be limited to the nominal costs of photocopies or computer print-outs.
- The Library adheres to the U.S. Copyright Law and accompanying fair use guidelines. The library will not place materials on reserve without permission of the copyright holder if the nature, scope, or extent of copying is judged by the library to exceed the reasonable limits of fair use.
- Reserve list forms can be forwarded on request through campus mail, picked up at the Circulation Desk, or completed online. Requests for reserve services need to be submitted at least one week before the materials are to be used.
- Lists are processed in the order received, and every effort is made to have materials on reserve in a timely manner. Reserve materials are processed Sunday -Thursday, 1 pm – 9 pm. Materials submitted during the first week of a semester may take up to a week to be processed.
- Due to limitations on Reserve shelving space, there is a limit of 50 items for any one course. The number of copies placed on reserve should be reasonable for the number of students enrolled. No more than 5 copies of a copyrighted article will be accepted for reserve. For large classes (more than 50 students), one copy for each 10 students will be accepted. The library may make exceptions for classes that rely heavily on videos and DVD’s.
- All items are barcoded and listed in the Library’s catalog – searchable by author, title, or reserving professor or course name. Journal articles may be placed on reserve only in photocopy form, and these copies must be made at departmental expense. A copyright notice will be placed on all photocopies to be used for reserve material.
- Personal materials may be placed on Reserve with the knowledge that, while security is provided, loss or theft is a possibility and the library will not be responsible in such an event.
- The following may not be placed on reserve:
- Material borrowed through Interlibrary Loan from another library.
- Material borrowed from video rental stores.
- Unlawful copies of items.
- All materials will be removed from reserve after the last day of the exam period unless requested to leave them on reserve. Materials from the Library’s collection are returned to their original location; personal items should be picked up at the Foley Library Circulation Desk. Space limitations do not allow material to remain in the library.
- At the end of spring semester all reserves, with the exception of reserves for summer session classes will be taken off Reserve and returned to the appropriate location or instructor.