As leaders, one of the most important things we do is gather teams to solve problems. But how much time do we really spend gaining an understanding of a challenge and the people impacted by it? That's where design thinking comes in -- a human-centered, problem-solving process that leads to better solutions. Unlike most problem-solving processes that start with assumptions and move quickly toward a solution, design thinking is based on empathy - seeking to deeply understand how a challenge affects people, and what they most need from a potential solution. It rests on the concept of 'learning early to succeed sooner' through experimentation and testing, thus refining potential solutions until the end-users' needs are met.
With significant experience teaching and implementing design thinking in organizations, Gonzaga University's School of Leadership Studies has designed the Certificate in Design Thinking to help you develop a new mindset and toolbox for solving organizational and societal challenges. In this 14-week, online course, you'll apply design thinking principles to actual, real-time organizational challenges. Discover why design thinking is a sought-after skill in a wide variety of fields and industries, and be prepared for a transformative shift in the way you look at problems!
The course is fully virtual with live, interactive Zoom classes weekly on Mondays from 4:00 to 5:30 PM PDT. Students should plan to spend 3 - 5 hours per week on class-time, independent work, and a group project. The structured curriculum is a balance between independent assignments that you can complete on your own schedule and practical challenges that you’ll complete in a group.
Fall 2022 Dates:
- Students receive access to course on Monday, September 12th
- First live Zoom class is Monday, September 19th, 4:00 - 5:30 PM PDT
- Live interactive Zoom classes held weekly on Mondays, same time
- Course ends officially on Sunday, December 18th
Winter/Spring 2023 Dates:
- Students receive access to course on Wednesday, January 18th, 2023
- First live Zoom class is Monday, January 23rd, 4:00 - 5:30 PM PDT
- Live interactive Zoom classes weekly on Monday, same time
- Course ends officially on Sunday, April 30th
Instructor: Cari Warren
Approx. 20 students per cohort
*A 30%-off scholarship is automatically granted to anyone employed by a 501c3 non-profit or government/public sector agency.
Note: Federal aid is not available for this program. Gonzaga employee tuition waiver does not apply.
How to enroll:
No application required, and no payment required at time of enrollment. Students must have five (5) years of work experience or an undergraduate degree. Students admitted on a first-come, first-serve basis, subject to meeting aforementioned criteria.
- Upon completion, students receive a Certificate from Gonzaga University and eight (8) Continuing Education credits on a Gonzaga University transcript.
- Students who successfully complete a School of Leadership Studies certificate program have the option of applying a maximum of three (3) credits towards completion of a Masters in Organizational Leadership or Masters in Communication and Leadership at Gonzaga, contingent upon admission.
- "I liked everything about the class. It was so fun, intense, and massive amounts of knowledge." -Anonymous comment, student evaluation
- "I liked how engaging the exercises were. The course flew by!" -Anonymous comment, student evaluation
Want to learn more?
Email Rachelle Strawther, Director of the Center for Lifelong Learning, with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.