Policy SummaryInterlibrary loan borrowing policy for GU students, faculty, and staff.
Information for BorrowersInterlibrary Loan (ILL) is a cooperative effort between libraries to have articles, books, and other materials sent to you.
- This service is only available to currently enrolled Gonzaga University students or current Gonzaga University faculty and staff.
- You must use our ILL system to make ILL requests or to manage your requests. Your Gonzaga network username/password (username and password used to access ZagMail and Blackboard) grants you access to our ILL system.
- We will attempt to get all materials requested; however, some materials are difficult to get or cannot be borrowed through ILL.
- Loan periods are set by the lending library.
- Books - due date set by library with some libraries allowing for one renewal. The average loan period is four weeks.
- Electronically delivered articles are accessible in our ILL system. These articles are deleted from the system after 5 views or 30 days, we recommend downloading a copy of articles for prolonged access.
- Renewals can be requested for most ILL items by logging into our ILL system, or by calling the ILL office at 509-313-3824. Renewals are approved or denied by the library we borrow from.
- The Foley Library Interlibrary Loan Office complies with the copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Borrowing LimitsFaculty, staff, and graduate students may have up to 50 active requests at any one time.
Returning Interlibrary Loan Books
Loan periods are set by the lending library. Interlibrary loan books must be returned to the Foley Center Library by the due date on the ILL slip. ILL books can be returned to the Checkout Desk or in
the book drop outside of the Foley Library. In addition to the ILL slip you may also manage your ILL due dates from your ILL account.
Lost Interlibrary Loan MaterialsCharges for lost or damaged books are determined by the lending library. We have no control over fees set by lending libraries and charges for lost or damaged material may exceed $100.
Blocked Library AccountIf your library account becomes blocked for any reason (e.g., lost items, excessive fines, expired registration), interlibrary loan privileges will be correspondingly suspended. After resolving the issue with our Circulation Department, please contact the Interlibrary Loan Office to have your ILL privileges restored.
Interlibrary Loan Services for Retired Gonzaga FacultyFaculty retiring with "Professor Emeritus" status retain borrowing and interlibrary loan privileges at Foley Library.
Gonzaga Graduate Students Enrolled in Distance Education Courses
If you are a GU graduate student enrolled in a distance education course and live more than 35 miles from campus, you can have interlibrary loan books mailed to your home. To use this service please identify as a distance education student at the time you make your interlibrary loan request.
The Foley Library covers the cost of shipping books to you, but you are responsible to pay for the return postage or to make arrangements for someone to return the books to the Foley Library.
Please keep in mind that mailing times can be long. It can take up to two weeks for us to get the items from the lending library, plus the time it takes after we mail the item to you. On occasion (especially for Canadian residents) items may already be due or overdue by the time you receive it. If this is the case, please call us immediately at 509-313-3824 and we will make every effort to renew the item for you.
If an item appears to have been lost in the mail, please let us know as soon as you become aware of it.
Please address packages to:
Foley Library - ILL
502 E Boone Ave
Spokane, WA 99258-0095
For shipping questions, call us at 509-313-3824.