College of Arts and Sciences
Department of English
Degree: B.A. in English and B.A. in English/Writing Concentration
The English major will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the literary heritage of the British and American traditions.
- Construct and articulate competent and persuasive interpretations of and arguments about texts.
- Read literature critically and analyze such works in conventionally appropriate ways.
- Produce writing that is clear, content-rich, rhetorically sophisticated, and that uses language appropriate to its context and purpose as well as the conventional mechanics and grammar of Standard Written English, and correct MLA documentation.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of minority literatures (e.g., literature by women, multiethnic American literature, queer literature and postcolonial literature) from inside and outside the Western canon along with a basic understanding of the political and cultural concerns raised by such texts.