Permission is restricted to each applicant on a one-time use only basis, as described on this form, with no other rights. Subsequent editions, related projects, etc., constitute re-use and require another application form. An additional use fee may be applied.
The user may not mass reproduce the photo-graphic copy as a book dust jacket or in other unbound printed material, nor use with commercial intent as in advertisement, promotion, etc., unless specifically authorized by the Special Collections Department.
The user may not reproduce or permit others to reproduce the photographic copy or any facsimile of it. Specifically, digital files will be deleted or returned when no longer needed for the designated use. Additional copies must be acquired from the Special Collections Department.
All reproductions must be credited to: Gonzaga University Library. In addition:
With printed matter, the image number, when provided, must be included in the credit line. The credit line must appear with the item or on a credit page, indicating the page number for each item. Each individual item must be credited in all cases.
With films, filmstrips, digital or transparency slide presentations and other visual media productions, credit must appear with other credits, at the beginning or end of the production. Image numbers may be omitted.
With displays or exhibitions, credit must appear within the display or exhibition area. With digital exhibits or web page designs, it is preferred that credit appears in proximity to the reproduction. If a separate Credits hyper linked page is used, an itemized identification scheme must be applied. Image numbers should be included, when provided, in all cases.
- Significant deviations from the original copy, such as cropping, tinting, or other digital editing, must be noted in an accompanying caption.
- In authorizing use of a photographic copy in publication, Gonzaga University does not surrender its own right to publish it, or to grant permission to other applicants.
- All responsibility for possible copyright infringement and invasion of privacy arising from use of reproductions is assumed by the user. (cf. COPYRIGHT WARNING below)
- One complimentary copy of each publication in which the photographic copy appears, excluding film productions, must be provided to the Special Collections Department.
- Any exceptions or additions to the above conditions will appear on, and be considered part of, the completed Permission Form.
The copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies and other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions of "Fair Use," as outlined in this Code, the libraries and archives are authorized to provide their patrons with photocopies or other reproductions as an aid to personal edification. Usage of a photocopy or other reproduction for a purpose beyond "Fair Use," may constitute an infringement of Copyright Law.
Applicants assume full responsibility for questions of potential copyright violation in their use of photocopies or other reproductions furnished by Gonzaga University.
Permission to publish, as granted by Gonzaga University, is not the equivalent to a waiver of copyright. Grantees are not absolved from identifying and securing permission from copyright owners when ownership is other than Gonzaga University.
Gonzaga University reserves the right to refuse an application if it is apparent that the proposed use would violate the Copyright Law.
For more information please call or write:
Special Collections Department
Foley Center Library
Spokane, WA 99258
(509) 313-3847 or 313-3814