Distance Services Tips and Tricks
Hints for using Foley Library from off-campus
We sometimes have trouble delivering articles to free email services like Hotmail and Yahoo. We recommend using your Gonzaga email account for library services.
USE PERIODICALS @ FOLEY. . .
Use Periodicals @ Foley to see if the library has access to any journal article you need! Whether it’s from Google Scholar, a list of references found in another article or if you are just having trouble linking to an article from one of our online databases.
Frequently, an article may not be available from one database, but it is conveniently online in another! Search by the journal title in Periodicals at Foley to see if it's accessible from another source.
ALWAYS CHECK Periodicals @ Foley before submitting an Interlibrary Loan request for any article.
- Education – ERIC, Professional Development, PsycINFO, Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection, SocINDEX
- Counselor Education - ERIC, PsycINFO, Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection, SocINDEX
- General Topics - Academic Search Premier, ProQuest
- Leadership – Business Search Premier, SocINDEX and databases related to your field.
- Nursing – CINAHL, Cochrane Library, Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition, Medline
DATABASE SEARCHING TIPS
- Brainstorm for keywords. Think of synonyms and related terms: intelligence, intellect, brain, aptitude, ability, understanding, etc.
- Use the controlled vocabulary within a database. These are the subject headings or "descriptors" assigned to each article entered into a database, describing the content of the article. Each database has it's own controlled vocabulary. Here's a quick tutorial.
- Sign up for My EbscoHost and save your searches to use again in any of the Ebsco databases.
- Use the library’s Research Guides. Created by the library faculty, these guides recommend databases, websites and other resources for specific fields of study. You’ll find them on the lower left of the library’s homepage.
ABOUT THE ERIC DATABASE
The Education Resources Information Center (ERIC) database is one of the most popular on our website. There are three main types of documents included in ERIC:
- Articles from education journals will have an Accession Number in ERIC that starts with EJ. Gonzaga should have many of these journals, but for those we don't have, there's always interlibrary loan.
- ERIC Digests are detailed summaries of longer reports. You will see the term 'ERIC Digest' after the title of the document. Click on the title and you will have access to the full-text of the digest.
- ERIC Documents are published and unpublished studies, reports, books, etc. dealing with issues in education. Their Accession Numbers start with ED. Many of the newer ERIC Documents are available in full-text online and Gonzaga has most of the older ones on microfiche. If you need an older one, we will scan up to 30 pages and send it to you electronically. Longer ERIC documents may be available as books in our collection or elsewhere.
The ERIC database is also available directly online. Go to http://eric.ed.gov/. (Note: ILLiad links will not appear on the ERIC website.)
LIVE HELP - REFERENCE CHAT SERVICE
If you prefer online chat help we have that too! Choose from the following chat services:
Chat with Foley Library - This service is available when the library is open and connects to the Reference Desk. You can't miss the "chat box" on the library homepage.
OTHER HELPFUL SITES
Adult Student Website: This site isn't connected to Gonzaga in any way, but it provides useful information for adult students as well as information for those who teach adult students. http://www.adultstudent.com/
CITING SOURCES - STYLE MANUALS Have a question about APA style? Even if you are using RefWorks (highly recommended!) there are always other questions about paper format or citing sources. These online resources come in handy.
We really are here to help YOU!
Your time is valuable! Don't spend it worrying about how to use the library's resources!
Toll Free Number: 1-800-498-5941
Theresa Kappus / Distance Services Librarian / 509-313- 3820 / email@example.com
Interlibrary Loan Office / 509-313- 6534 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Library Circulation Desk / 509-313-5803
Computer Help Desk /509-313-5550 / email@example.com