Circulation Services for Gonzaga University Faculty and Staff
- Where else can I use my card
- Access your library record
- Add a borrower to my library record
- Extended borrowing privileges
- How do I check out and return items
- How long do materials check out for
- What if I bring the item back late
- What are my options it the item I want is not on the shelf
- How do I put items on reserve for my class
- How will I get my books?
- Bookdrop in Admin
Your Gonzaga University ID card is your library card. Bring your card with you to the Foley Center; it is required for a variety of on-site services including checkout of materials as well as access to some electronic databases from locations outside the Foley Center.
Where Else Can I use My Card? Present your Gonzaga ID card at these local libraries to receive free borrowing privileges: Gonzaga Law (Chastek Library), Whitworth University, and the Community Colleges of Spokane.
Access Your Record online. This option allows you to view current activity on your borrowing record (e.g., items checked out, fines owed, holds pending). You can also renew your items from here.
Add a Borrower to my Library Account: Here is a form to download, fill out and mail to Valerie Kitt at the Foley Center Library, AD Box 95. An example of why you may want to add a borrower would be if you have a grad student that needs to check out items for you on your record.
Extended Borrowing Privileges: If you are working with students who are finishing their degrees but not currently registered and taking classes, you can request extended borrowing privileges for them. Download the Extended Borrowing Privileges form, fill it out, sign it, and return it to Valerie Kitt, Circulation Supervisor, AD Box 95 for authorization.
How Do I Check Out and Return Materials? Present your ID card at the Circulation Desk on the main floor to check out material. All items that circulate are to be checked out and returned to the Main Circulation Desk. An outside bookdrop is provided for your convenience, there is also a bookdrop in the Staff Lounge in the Administration Building. The Ad Building bookdrop is emptied daily, Monday-Friday when classes are in session.
How long do materials checkout? Faculty are entitled to keep book material for a semester. Materials can be renewed up to eight times unless requested by another user. Exception: Popular books check out for two weeks and can be renewed only twice. Material may be renewed by phone, on line or in person at the Circulation Desk. Material does not need to be presented in order to renew it. The renewal period is equivalent to the original checkout period. Books may be renewed in the "Your Library Record" feature of the library catalog. To renew by phone, call 323-5803--you will be asked for your GU ID number. Renew before the due date to avoid late fines! Materials With Shorter Loan Periods:
|Curriculum Center Material||28 days for all users|
|Media Material (videos, CDs)||7 days for all users|
|Popular Books||14 days for all users|
|Reserve Material||(varies) 1 hr. - 3 days|
Reference, periodicals and Special Collections materials do not check out.
|Fine Per Item|
|Most Items||25 cents per day|
|Interlibrary Loans||$1per day|
|Media (videos & CDs)||25 cents per day|
|Recalled Items||$1 per day|
|Reserve Materials||$1 per hour|
Notices for library material that is overdue are sent at 7 days and 14 days past the due date. Persons with library material more than 60 days late will be billed the cost of the item plus a $10 processing fee. If the item is no longer in print a default charge of $50 plus a $10 processing fee will be assessed.What Are My Options If The Item I Want Is Not On The Shelf?
Several options are available to you at this point. Please discuss the situation with the staff at the Circulation Desk.
- RECALL: If the item you want is checked out and you need it right away, ask to put a RECALL on the item. The person who has the item checked out has seven days to return it. When the item is returned you will be mailed a notice and the item will be held for you at the Circulation Desk for seven days. All circulating material is subject to recall. Any item checked out by any borrower may be recalled after two weeks if needed by another borrower or by the Library.
- HOLD: If the item you want is checked out and you simply want to receive it when it's returned ask to put a HOLD on the item. Whenever the item comes back the item will be checked out to you and delivered via Bulldog Express. Holds may be placed in the catalog by using the hold request button and supplying your name and library card number.
- TRACE: If the item you want is not checked out and not on the shelf ask to have a TRACE put on the item. Circulation staff will search for the item and notify you when it has been found. You will be mailed a notice and the item will be held for you at the Circulation Desk for seven days. You can determine for yourself whether or not an item is checked out by finding the record in the online catalog. At the end of the record is a status line which indicates the availability of an item. If Foley Center does not own an item you may inquire at the Reference Desk about getting the item through interlibrary loan.
Reserve materials meet the needs of faculty wishing to make items requiring short-term use available to their students. Reserve readings are located at the Circulation Desk and can be checked out by anyone presenting a valid ID card. Reserve readings cannot be renewed. A printout detailing reserve materials, listed by course and professor, is located at the Reserve Desk. Any material may be placed on reserve by a university faculty member as long as it is not in violation of federal copyright guidelines. Most reserve material is kept at the Circulation Desk on the first floor of the Foley Center. Material may be placed on 1 hour, 2 hours,2 hour-building use only, 24 hour, or 3 day reserve. Library materials or personal copies may be placed on reserve. Requests to place items on reserve can be done over the phone by contacting Molly McFadden, Circulation Assistant, at x3850, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Processing of reserve materials may take up to three working days at the beginning of the the semester; please allow enough time for the material to be processed. Copies of the Library Reserve Materials Form are available at the Circulation Desk or click here to download the course reserve form.
How will I get my books? Books requested through the library catalog, Interlibrary Loan, or WIN borrow will be mailed to you through campus mail. If you need an item immediately they can also be picked up at the library. If you prefer to pick up your requested items, for library catalog and WIN Borrow requests please enter a note when requesting, for Interlibrary Loan requests please contact the ILL department.