Encyclopedia Britannica. ONLINE and PRINT, REF AE5 E363 2003. Excellent encyclopedia for the study of all aspects of the arts, humanities, social sciences and sciences. Great for facts on all topics of importance to knowledge in all fields. 32 vols.
- Guinness Book of World Records. REF AG 243 G67
- Oxford Dictionary of Quotations. ONLINE (Oxford Reference Online)
- Offering access to quotations from famous and no so famous people on all kinds of topics and subjects.
- Opposing Viewpoints series. STACKS
- Presents both sides of contemporary issues. Each volume covering a separate issue. (Search Foley online catalog for "opposing viewpoints" as keywords to find these books.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States. REF DESK (latest edition)
- HA 202 A3: 1897, 1910 - 11, 1920 - 21, 1925 - 74, 1976 - present. Web access: www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/statab.html
Summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- World Almanac and Book of Facts. ONLINE and PRINT, REF AY 67 N5 W7 (1900-present)
- Quickly locate information about events of each year and countries of the world and statistics.
- Speech Periodicals @ Foley
Online databases will help you locate articles on specific topics in newspapers, magazines and academic and scholarly journals. Databases are searchable by topics, subject terms, authors and keywords.
Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center (Critical Thinking)- Provides full-text resources on popular topics from abortion to women’s rights, highlighting opposite viewpoints and pro/con perspectives on each topic. Includes access to the Opposing Viewpoints series of books published by Greenhaven Press. Also includes articles from magazines, newspapers and journals, as well as statistics, multimedia, reference sources and websites relevant to topics.
Project Muse - Provides access to 400 journals from university presses and scholarly publishers. Covers the fields of literature, history, the visual and performing arts, cultural studies, education, political science, gender studies, economics and others.
Provides access to newspaper, magazine and journal articles from over 5,000 publications, with many articles in full-text, full-image format covering a wide range of subject areas.
Web of Knowledge - is a multidisciplinary citation index to the journal literature of the sciences and social sciences. It fully indexes over 6,650 major journals across 150 scientific disciplines and 1,950 journals across 50 social sciences disciplines. In addition to indexing it includes all cited references captured from indexed articles.
Newspapers provide excellent coverage of issues and information on all different topics of current interest to readers of all ages.
New York Times Index. REF INDEX AI21.N44 Index for the New York Times from 1913 to the present. Some years of the index are on microfilm. The Prior Series (REF INDEX AI21.N43) covers 1851 - 1906, 1911.
NewsLink - Links to newspapers, radio/TV stations and magazines.
Spokesman Review - Latest two weeks in Periodicals.
University of North Carolina Greensboro’s extensive list of online newspapers from around the world.
For additional print and online reference sources, use Reference Universe.