Student Team: Cole Britton, Zach Quiring, Evan Shioyama, Anna Olson
Advisor: Dr. Shawn Bowers
Sponsoring Organization: Schweitzer Mountain Resort
Liaison: Sean Briggs/Dave Kulis
Schweitzer Mountain Resort made a decision several years ago to focus limited resources on developing a mobile website in lieu of a mobile app. At the time, technology was changing rapidly and the thought was that most pertinent information could be provided via a mobile website. With geolocation and technology advancements, there are many compelling reasons to revisit this strategy now, so as to create an application that provides additional value to Schweitzer guests above and beyond the mobile website experience. The idea is not to recreate the mobile website, but provide something of unique value in app form.
Create a mobile application for iphone and Android (if feasible) that provides Schweitzer guests with compelling reasons (features) to download. Ideally, the application should create a sense of Schweitzer "community" by allowing guests to track skiing statistics (number of runs, speed, etc.), monitor friends on mountain, receive "push notifications" from Schweitzer for certain milestones such as total days skied and the ability to share this information with friends through social media. (See below for Schweitzer thoughts on possible features.)
1. Project plan delineating milestones and deliverables (first month)
2. Brainstorm feature set in collaboration with Schweitzer team
3. Develop a beta version of the application that adheres to Schweitzer brand guidelines for look, fonts, etc.
4. Beta testing and limited rollout (winter 2013/2014)
5. Finalize application and submit for Apple Store
Project Management and Communication Expectations:
1. WBS, project schedule and HoQ to be determined.
2. Monthly meetings with sponsors (teleconference, primarily)
3. Status reports every two weeks
Creation of an application that would be offered for free to Schweitzer guests in the future.
Initial Schweitzer thoughts on features (we understand that not all may be possible or within scope of work):
- Track speed (current, avg, top), vertical, # runs, # days
- o Some sort of leaderboard for each?
- o Username, permissions, logon?
- Geolocation of friends
- o Down to lift? Run?
- Messaging (push notification)
- Location based scavenger hunts
- Weather/snow report
- Contesting/deals based on vertical/# days/some other modifier
- Social media interaction
- Photo integration
- Trail map/google map
- General Schweitzer info (maybe on a "more" button)
- Links to mobile website for lodging booking, ticket purchases, etc
- Ability for Schweitzer to download user data/info for re-marketing
- Track which trails people ski (award for skiing all 92)
- Location based awards/titles/recognition for visitation (wang shack, taps, outback, other outlets)
- Fitness/health tracking? Can you tie vertical to calories burned, etc
- Options for skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, XC
- Ability to share (brag) stuff on social media