Agnieszka McPeak is an Associate Professor of Law and the Associate Dean for Faculty Scholarship. She is also the Director of the Center for Law, Ethics, and Commerce. Before joining the Gonzaga Law faculty in 2020, Professor McPeak also taught at the University of Toledo College of Law and Duquesne University School of Law. She began her teaching career at Loyola University New Orleans College of Law as a Westerfield Fellow.
Professor McPeak’s research and writing focus on the intersection of law and technology, particularly as it relates to social media, ethics, privacy, and the innovation and sharing economies. Professor McPeak’s scholarship has been published in Wisconsin Law Review, Wake Forest Law Review, Connecticut Law Review, and Arizona State Law Journal, among others. Additionally, her work has been cited in several legal opinions, including a recent decision by the highest court of New York redefining the scope of civil discovery of social media content.
Prior to entering academia, Professor McPeak practiced complex commercial litigation in New Orleans and, before law school, negotiated translation rights for a computer book publisher in Alameda, California. As a political refugee from Poland who came to the United States as a child, Professor McPeak grew up in the San Francisco Bay area and is excited to return to the West.
- Gig Agency (work in progress).
- Adaptable Design: Creating Multi-Modal Course Content for Law School Teaching, ST. LOUIS. L.J. __ (2021) (forthcoming) (invited piece for Teaching Law Series).
- Platform Immunity Redefined, 62 WM. & MARY L. REV. __ (2021) (forthcoming).
- The Threat of Deep Fakes in Civil Litigation, 22 VANDERBILT J. ENT. & TECH. LAW __ (2020) (forthcoming) (invited symposium).
- The Internet Made Me Do It: Reconciling Professional and Social Media Norms for Lawyers, Judges, and Law Professors, 55 IDAHO L. REV. 205 (2019) (invited symposium).
- Disruptive Technology and the Ethical Lawyer, 50 TOL. L. REV. 457 (2019) (invited symposium).
- Disappearing Data, 2018 WIS. L. REV. 17 (2018).
- Self-Destruct Apps: Spoliation by Design?, 51 U. AKRON L. REV. 749 (2018) (invited symposium).
- Regulating Ridesharing Platforms through Tort Law, 39 U. HAWAII L. REV. 357 (2017) (invited symposium).
- Social Data Discovery and Proportional Privacy, 65.1 CLEVELAND STATE L. REV. 59 (2017) (invited symposium).
- Sharing Tort Liability in the New Sharing Economy, 49 CONN. L. REV. 171 (2016).
- Social Media, Smartphones, and Proportional Privacy in Civil Discovery, 64 U. KAN. L. REV. 235 (2015).
- Social Media Snooping and its Ethical Bounds, 46 ARIZ. ST. L.J. 845 (2014).
- Avoiding Misrepresentation in Informal Discovery of Social Media Data, 17 SMU SCI. & TECH. L. REV. 581 (2014) (invited symposium).
- The Facebook Digital Footprint: Paving Fair and Consistent Pathways to Civil Discovery of Social Media Data, 48 WAKE FOREST L. REV. 887 (2013).
- Casebook co-author, TRAVERSING THE ETHICAL MINEFIELD: PROBLEMS, LAW, AND PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY (with Susan Martyn and Lawrence Fox) (under contract with Aspen Publishers for next edition).
- Presenter, “The Threat of Deep Fakes in Civil Litigation,” Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law Annual Symposium on Influence: How Law Should Respond to Technology’s Grip on Consumers, Elections, and the Courts, Nashville, TN (Feb. 20, 2020).
- Chair and Moderator, “Social Media Content Moderation and the Future of Free Speech,” Panel for Section on Defamation & Privacy, Association of American Law Schools Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. (Jan. 2, 2020).
- Co-Chair and Presenter, “Gig Agency,” #FutureLaw 4.0 Conference, Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, PA (Nov. 22, 2019).
- Presenter, “Beyond Speech: Redefining Tort Immunity for the Modern Online Platform,” Faculty Speaker Series, Suffolk University School of Law, Boston, MA (Nov. 7, 2019).
- Panelist, “Privacy & Security: Importance of Adopting and Implementing Best Practices Early,” Pittsburgh Tech & Data Summit, Pittsburgh PA (Nov. 1, 2019).
- Panelist, “Little Data: The Results of the 2019 Relativity-Ctrl Study on Data Minimization,” Relativity Fest 2019 E-Discovery Conference, Chicago, IL (Oct. 21, 2019).
- Presenter, “Ephemeral Messaging and Legal Ethics,” Women in Energy Network Greater Pittsburgh Chapter Education Conference, Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, PA (Sept. 27, 2019).
- Panelist, #TwitterLaw Symposium, University of Idaho School of Law, Boise, ID (Apr. 5, 2019).
- Presenter, “The Net Without Neutrality: Economic, Regulatory, and Informational Access Impacts,” Pitt Law Review Symposium, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, PA (Mar. 1, 2019).
- Co-Chair and Presenter, “Reconciling Professional and Social Media Norms for Legal Professionals,” Three Rivers Tech & IP Conference, Pittsburgh, PA (Jan. 26, 2019).
- Presenter, “Rethinking Platform Immunity under Section 230,” AALS Privacy and Defamation Section, Association of American Law Schools Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA (Jan. 4, 2019).
- Presenter, “Deepfakes and Civil Discovery Challenges” and “The Ethics of AI,” Toledo Law Review Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and the Law, Toledo, OH (Oct.12, 2018).
- Featured Speaker, “New Technology and the Ethical Lawyer,” 2018 Fall Seminar, North Carolina Defense Bar, Greensboro, NC (Sept. 28, 2018).
- Presenter, “Self-Destruct Apps: Spoliation by Design?” Akron Law Review Symposium on Civil Discovery, Akron, OH (Apr. 6, 2018).
- Presenter, “Social Media Trends and Challenges,” Kiroff Bench-Bar Conference, Toledo, OH (Oct. 27, 2017).
- Presenter, “Disappearing Data,” Junior Faculty Works-in-Progress Conference, Chapman School of Law, Orange, CA (Sept. 22, 2017).
- Featured Speaker, Naturalization Ceremony, Toledo, OH (Sept. 18, 2017).
- Presenter, “Ethics of Class Actions,” DRI Strictly Auto Seminar, Troy, MI (Sept. 15, 2017).
- Presenter, “Disappearing Data,” Ohio State Summer Workshop Series, Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Columbus, OH (Aug. 2, 2017).
- Presenter, “Regulating Ridesharing Apps through Tort Law,” Symposium on the Sharing Economy, University of Hawaii Richardson School of Law, Honolulu, HI (Feb. 17, 2017).
- Presenter, “Privacy Law,” Wilkin Chair Speaker Series, University of Findlay, Findlay, OH (Oct. 19, 2016).
- Presenter, “Social Media Spoliation,” Fourth Annual Junior Scholars Works-in-Progress Conference, Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI (Sept. 10, 2016).
- Presenter, “Sharing Tort Liability in the New Sharing Economy,” Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA (June 4, 2016).
- Presenter, “Proportional Privacy in Civil Discovery of Social Data,” Symposium on Regulation of Big Data, Cleveland-Marshall School of Law, Cleveland, OH (Apr. 8, 2016).
- Presenter, “Civil Discovery of Social Media Content,” The Henry L. Hartman Symposium on Law, Psychiatry, and Behavioral Science, Toledo, OH (Oct. 30, 2015).
- Presenter, “Social Media, Smartphones, and Proportional Privacy in Civil Discovery,” 43rd TPRC Research Conference on Communications, Information, and Internet Policy, Arlington, VA (Sept. 26, 2015).
- Presenter, “Ethical Issues with Lawyers’ Use of Social Media,” Symposium on Social Media Law, SMU Dedman School of Law, Dallas, TX (Oct. 17, 2014).
- Presenter, “Your Cheatin’ Heart: How Attorneys Maintain Ethics & Professionalism when Using Social Media,” Transportation Lawyers Association Conference, Nashville, TN, (Nov. 9, 2012).
- Panelist and Moderator, “Maps to the Social Media Minefield: Brand Protection, Marketing, Litigation Policies, and Legal Ethics Tips to Avoid Explosive Missteps,” American Bar Association Business Law Section Spring Meeting, Las Vegas, NV (Mar. 22, 2012).