We want you in our ESL Program!
Since 1978, the Gonzaga University’s ESL Program has been successfully helping students from all over the world achieve their English language goals. More than 8,500 students from more than 70 nations have made up the ELC student population since the program's inception. Our graduates work worldwide in such fields as business, engineering, teaching, health care, computer science, government, and more. We hope you consider joining our vibrant campus community.
Why Gonzaga ESL?
- Fully accredited by CEA.
- We align with the CEA Standards for English Language Programs
- Located in beautiful Spokane, Washington. A safe, friendly city in eastern Washington.
- Opportunities for community involvement and service learning.
We will help you develop your language and intercultural skills holistically by helping you engage in community connections. We do this in our classes and through after-class activities such as Global Conversation and field trips. In our classes, we engage you in collaborative projects and exchanges with Gonzaga students and other Spokane community members, immigrants and refugees in Spokane, museum visits, city tours, and many more educational excursions.
Gonzaga's English Language Center is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation for the period August 2016 through August 2026 and agrees to uphold the CEA Standards for English Language Programs. CEA is recognized by the US Se retary of Education as a nationally accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the United States. For further information about thie accreditation, please contact CEA, (703) 665-3400, cea-accredit.org
CEA Complaint Policy
Through ongoing research, reflection, and integration of new findings in applied linguistic theories and methodology, the ELC faculty and staff strive to provide an exemplary teaching and learning experience for all students in the ELC language learning and language teaching programs and to serve as a resource to the larger Gonzaga community.
The mission of the Intensive English Program (IEP) at Gonzaga University is to:
- teach general and academic English to multilingual and multicultural students:
- help students gain an understanding of English language and American culture, while also honoring their own cultures, values, and traditions;
- provide opportunities for students to achieve their academic, personal, and professional goals;
- guide students toward actively contributing to their own learning process as well as to the intellectual and social life of Gonzaga, both in and otu of the classroom;
- serve as the program that satisfies the English language proficiency requirements of other departments at the University.