School of Education Graduate Admission and M.I.T. Program Minimum Requirements
Candidates must satisfy both the School of Education graduate admission and the Department of Teacher Education candidacy requirements in order to receive the degree and meet State certification requirements.
School of Education Admission Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- A completed graduate application (APPLY HERE)
- A $50.00 non-refundable application fee made payable online at https://commerce.cashent.com/SOE3. This fee is waived for Gonzaga graduates and International students
- One (1) official degree bearing transcript and one official transcript from all other colleges or universities attended. If you attend Gonzaga, please note that GU transcripts are ordered by the Graduate Admissions Office on your behalf.
- Two (2) confidential recommendations (Gonzaga University recommendation forms are required) (CLICK HERE FOR FORM)
- A written statement of purpose addressing the applicant's (a) commitment to becoming a K-12 educator, (b) past and present academic experiences, and (c) ability to work with children or youth
- Complete an online declaration of endorsement form (CLICK HERE FOR FORM)
- Personal Interview with the M.I.T. admission committee.
- Submission of foreign transcripts in the original language and a certified English copy. All foreign transcripts MUST be professionally evaluated, course by course, through WES or ECE.
- An official TOEFL score of 88 ibt, 580 (written) OR an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher OR successful completion of Gonzaga University’s ESL program
- Copy of passport
- Completed financial declaration form with original supporting bank statements (showing at least US $22,900) or official letter from sponsoring agency
The Department of Teacher Education Candidacy Requirements. All items (1 - 6) must be satisfied by the end of the fall semester prior to student teaching.
- Passing scores on all three sections (reading, writing, and math) of the WEST B (basic skills test).
- Passing score on the WEST E (endorsement) test in an approved endorsement area.
- Teacher candidates must maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher throughout the program.
- Teacher candidates must have no uncorrected dispositions as outlined in the Disposition Intervention Process policy.
- All endorsement coursework must be completed by the end of the first semester.
- Teacher candidates must "meet standard" in all field experiences.
- The MIT Director will review and document that all candidacy requirements have been met.