Summer 2024 Deadline - January 10, 2024
Classes Start May 20th, 2024
Fall 2024 Deadline -March 20, 2024
- Classes Start -August 2024
The online Second Master’s Degree program is designed for the Registered Nurse who has already earned a Master’s of Science degree in Nursing but desires additional preparation in another specialty area.
Prerequisite – A master’s degree with a major in nursing from a regionally accredited nursing program.
PLEASE NOTE: We are only accepting into the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner and Family Nurse Practitioner Track students from the following states WA, ID, OR, MT, CA, NV, UT, AK, WY and AZ.
Please note: Gonzaga must obtain authorization from each state in order to admit students into an online program. The list provided here shows states where the authorization has been received by Gonzaga.
If documents have been generated using artificial intelligence (AI), your application may be denied.
Complete the Online Application
Submit one official transcript from each college or university attended.
- If your cumulative GPA falls below a 3.0 please include an explanation of GPA statement.
- If you previously attended Gonzaga or are a current student, please note that GU transcripts are ordered by your admissions counselor on your behalf.
Official Transcripts can be mailed or emailed to:
Graduate Admissions Operations
AD Box 102
502 E. Boone Avenue
Spokane, WA 99258-0068
Two RecommendersRequest two letters of recommendation through the online application. One of the letters must be from a nursing supervisor. Your references will be contacted directly by us via email with directions for submitting their letters of recommendation and evaluation checklist on your behalf. Provide a minimum of two professional recommenders who can evaluate your leadership, interpersonal skills, critical thinking, judgement, professional practice and your ability and capacity to complete a graduate degree. Supervisors or past professors are best. Please note: recommendations from family members and friends are not accepted.
Statement of Purpose
Submit a 500-1000 word essay that is well written, organized, and includes the following:
- Interest in the Second Masters program and specific option, and what you hope to gain from the degree
- Professional goals and experiences
- Personal and professional strengths
- Why you are interested in attending Gonzaga University
Current Resume or Professional Curriculum Vitae
Provide an updated professional resume or curriculum vitae.
Current RN License
Provide proof of registered nurse license from a program accredited by CCNE, NLNAC, ACEN, CNEA. (Screenshot acceptable)
Syllabi (strongly encouraged)
At the end of the degree program, most students sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification exam. The ANCC Board is now asking those who want to sit for the ANCC certification exam to prove they have taken the following coursework and that the courses taken meet the content requirements for LACE:
- advanced physical assessment
- advanced pathophysiology
- advanced pharmacology
Due to these requirements and to ensure our graduates can sit for the ANCC certification exam, we are strongly encouraging applicants to submit syllabi from the courses listed above for faculty review. If the course title of the syllabus is not exact as the courses listed above, please submit syllabi from courses that closely correspond to those listed.
If you cannot provide this information by the time your application is reviewed, and you are offered admission, you will be required to take these courses at Gonzaga. More information about this can be found in our FAQs.
Syllabi and the acknowledgement of these requirements should be uploaded via your Applicant Status Portal.
You are able to petition to transfer between 6 and 9 credits from an accredited MSN program, depending on the track you choose.
- Submit the Transfer Credit Form
- Submit Accompanying Syllabus
- Submit Official Transcript
Transferring of credits is subject to approval from faculty and the Registrar's Office.
Military-Connected Students and Veterans
- Currently, all active-duty military members must have permission/approval from an Education Services Officer (ESO), Military Counselor, or the Military Service prior to applying.
- For more information on how to apply for the GI Bill and related benefits, please visit the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs How to Apply page.
- Visit Gonzaga’s Military & Veteran Students for more information regarding benefits and student support
Call or Text (509) 313-6242 or (866) 380-5323
Program information is subject to change.