Applicants to the Gonzaga Philosophy M.A. program must submit the items specified below. Materials should be printed, completed, and mailed to the following address:Graduate Philosophy Admissions AD Box 47, Gonzaga University 502 E Boone Avenue, Spokane, WA 99258
Alternatively, documents may be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (please use the subject line "Philosophy M.A. Application"). If you would prefer to receive an application packet with program brochure and application forms, please send your mailing address to email@example.com.
Deadlines: The Philosophy M.A. program has a rolling admission policy which allows applications at any time during the year. To ensure consideration for fall admission and award of the Graduate Assistantship, applications must be complete by July 15 of each year. Applications for the annual philosophy scholarships are due May 15.
If you have questions about any aspect of the application process, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies, David H. Calhoun (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A completed application form: please note that the form must be completed and signed.
- non-refundable application fee: at present, we are able to process application fees only in check form, payable to Gonzaga University, in the amount of $50. Applications cannot be processed until we receive the application fee. The application fee is waived for applicants with a Gonzaga degree.
- Two official transcripts from each college or university attended (international applicants must submit foreign transcripts in the original language and an English copy). Only degrees and courses from regionally accredited institutions will be accepted.
- Three letters of recommendation sent directly from the recommending individual: recommenders must use the recommendation form. If recommenders wish, they can send a separate letter of recommendation along with the form.
- GRE general aptitude test or MAT standardized test scores: test score must be less than five years old. (If the applicant has already earned an advanced degree, the standardized test may not be required; check with the Director of Graduate Studies)
- Personal statement of philosophical background and interest
- A sample of philosophical writing (no more than 3500 words)
International Student Applicants
In addition to the above requirements, international student applicants must submit the following:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score: international applicants who have graduated from non-US colleges or universities and whose native language is not English must submit an official TOEFL score. For admission, the TOEFL minimum scores are 100 ibt (internet-based test) or 250 cbt (computer-based test) or 600 pbt (paper-based test)
- a financial declaration form and supporting documentation: international students must document that they have funding resources to live in Spokane and complete the Philosophy M.A. degree
Students accepted into the Gonzaga Philosophy M.A. program must submit the following medical forms. To simplify the application process, students can submit these forms to the Philosophy Department along with other application materials.