Resources for life after Environmental Studies at Gonzaga
Please use this page as a starting point for exploring environmental studies careers. Below are a host of on and off-site career planning resources. Don't underestimate the importance of getting some hands-on experience, which will help you pinpoint your interest in a certain area of environmental studies, and will often be your means of securing further education or employment.
I. Gonzaga Career Center
5 Great Reasons for Environmental Studies Majors to go to the Career Center & GAMP Office in Crosby Student Center
- Opportunities Are you looking for an internship or job? Check out the possibilities for Environmental Studies Majors in the widget at the bottom of this page. You can also sign up for ZagTrax on the career center website at ZagTrax Signup
- Connections Sign up for GAMP (Gonzaga Alumni Mentor Program) to access the network of over 2,400 mentors some of whom are working in fields related to Environmental Studies. Sign up on-line at: GAMP Signup and then register for an orientation on ZagTrax.net. When signing up, designate the environmental field of interest and/or in the geographical area you prefer to work.
- Outreach The Career Center is committed to identifying and building relationships with key constituents for the purpose of creating internship and job opportunities for students in Environmental Studies. Work with us by letting us know who you hope to work for so we can reach out and build a strong University relationship with the organization.
- Networking Did you know that 65% of jobs are found through the "hidden job market"? Let us assist you with the keys to effective networking.
- Training Receive hands on training on all aspects of your professional preparation: Résumé and Cover Letter Development, Interview Preparation, Internship & Job Search, and Building Your Network. We meet students where they are in their career development journey towards an Environmental oriented career.
II. Are you interested in finding a summer internship?
Student Conservation Association (SCA) - the premier national organization for placing students into internshipsGreen Corps - One year paid training programs
Check out THIS LIST of environmental non-profits in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana
III. Are you still exploring?
The O*NET Resource Page may help you clarify what you want your future career to be. http://www.onetcenter.org/ Students should start with "My Next Move"
These 1-2 year postgraduate programs have provided excellent opportunities to dozens of Gonzaga students Did you know that Gonzaga is #1 in the United States in Peace Corps participation among small colleges and universities?!
Jesuit Volunteer Corps
Teach for America
The following job boards and websites focus on green and environmentally related jobs:
Environmental Career Opportunities
Environmental Careers Organization
Green Dream Jobs
IV. Where have GU ENVS grads gone after graduation?Gonzaga's ENVS Major is only five years old as of 2013 but we have already placed students into a wide area of graduate, governmental, and environmental positions. Below is a sampling of some of the career opportunities recent ENVS grads have chosen to pursue:
Graduate and Law Schools
Alaska Pacific University, Environmental Science
Oregon State University, Environmental Science
Oregon State University, Public Policy/Environmental Policy
Texas A&M University, Behavioral Ecology
University of California Irvine, Evolutionary Biology, Ph.D.
University of Kentucky, Entomology, Ph.D.
University of Washington, Evans School of Public Affairs
University of Washington, School of Law
Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho
Olympic National Park, Washington (seasonal)
Petersburg National Battlefield, Virginia (seasonal)
Sawtooth National Recreation Area, Idaho (seasonal)
United States Army
United States Department of Energy (seasonal)
Washington State Department of Ecology
Bay Area Climate Corps, San Francisco, California
Catholic Charities of Spokane Vinegar Flats Community Farm
Friends of Cedar River Watershed, Seattle, Washington
Northwest Earth Institute, Portland, Oregon
Northwestern Energy, Bozeman, Montana
University of Idaho, Lab Researcher
Upper Columbia United Tribes, Biological Field Technician, Washington
CAS Degree Worksheets
Find the worksheet specific to your degree.