October 8 - 14, 2023
This October, Gonzaga University invites you to travel to Florence, Italy, for an authentic exploration of Tuscany's rich culinary history focusing on regional food traditions and the production of olive oil and wine. Through guided tours, cooking classes, site visits, and interactive lectures by Gonzaga in Florence faculty, you'll develop a new appreciation for Tuscany's local ingredients. Enjoy the smells, tastes, sights, and sounds of the unparalleled Tuscan countryside!
In this six-day excursion, you will:
- Prepare and savor traditional recipes from the craftsmen and women who carry on age-old traditions in the streets, markets and restaurants of Florence.
- Learn about the chemistry of flavor by observing the process of making olive oil and wine.
- Experience the monastic tradition of living in sustainable autonomous community.
- Discover how modern-day entrepreneurial farmers are rehabilitating ancient species and food production methods.
Dates & Locations
- Begins in Florence, Italy at 6:00 PM on Sunday, October 8, 2023
- Ends in Florence, Italy at 12:00 PM on Saturday, October 14, 2023
- Locations: Florence and Pontignano (near Siena, Italy)
- 3 nights in Florence at the Sure Hotel Collection De La Pace (October 8 - 10)
- 3 nights in Pontignano at the Certosa di Pontignano (October 11 - 13)
- Local transportation (group coach transfers)
- 2-3 meals per day (approx. 3 meals in total will be on your own)
- Daily activities (tours, classes, lectures, etc.)
- International health insurance
**Group size: Max. 30 people (first come, first serve)
- $2,700/person (double occupancy, standard hotel room)
- $3,100/person (single occupancy, standard hotel room)
*Upgrades available. For more details, email CLL@gonzaga.edu.
- All those age 18 and older are welcome to attend.
- No payment due at the time of registration.
- Due to the uneven, medieval layout of the sites, it is important that you are comfortable walking, standing, and climbing stairs during tours and excursions.
- As of April 2023, Gonzaga University recommends that all travelers be vaccinated for COVID; however, vaccination is no longer required to participate. Please note that, should Italy begin requiring COVID vaccinations, participants would be responsible for complying with this mandate.
- Airfare is not included. You are responsible for arriving in Florence on October 8, 2023. The program will conclude on October 14, 2023. You are encouraged to purchase refundable flights in case of changes.
For questions, please email CLL@gonzaga.edu with the subject line "TUSCANY 2023".
UPDATE: PROGRAM IS FULL!
To request a spot on the wait-list, please email CLL@gonzaga.edu, subject line "Experience Tuscany 2023".