MA/TESL Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate understanding of the nature and structure of language, and the structure of English, on phonological, morphological, syntactic, semantic, discourse and pragmatic levels.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of the process of language acquisition and its effects on language learning.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of the socio-cultural contexts in which languages are acquired and their effects on communication and language learning.
- Students will demonstrate sensitivity to diverse cultures both within and outside the United States, and knowledge of the role English has played and plays in the world.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the principles of course design, curriculum development, and language assessment.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of principles of language pedagogy, and ability to apply them effectively in a variety of teaching contexts.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to reflect and evaluate on their own teaching practice, to evaluate theories, methods, techniques, and materials.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to express thoughts in writing and orally; to develop and support ideas, synthesize information, present information clearly in papers and oral presentations, and to follow conventions of the discipline for citations.
- Students will demonstrate professional and collaborative interpersonal skills.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of how research is conducted in the field and an ability to conduct and analyze their own research.