- Provide intensive ESL (English as a Second Language) instruction that offers non-native speakers the opportunity to acquire the communicative competence necessary to meet academic, professional, social, and personal goals.
- Serve as the program for satisfying the English proficiency requirements of all other departments of the university.
- Advance Gonzaga University’s reputation for academic excellence and its image as a multicultural learning community.
- Serve as a campus and community resource for information about intercultural communication and about the teaching and learning of ESL.
- Provide a model IEP (Intensive English Program) for Gonzaga University’s master’s degree program in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language).
- Provide instruction that will encourage students to gain understanding of American language and culture while encouraging them to participate actively in the learning process both in and out of the classroom.
- Encourage acceptance in the university community of each student as an individual with his or her own cultural and linguistic heritage.
- Support the profession of TESL and contribute to knowledge in the field.
To achieve this, the English Language Center will:
- Employ qualified staff and faculty dedicated to fostering student learning and to building a quality ESL program, and support their professional development.
- Regularly evaluate its curriculum, teaching materials, student programs, staff, and faculty; and assess and respond to student concerns in order to maintain the highest standards.
- Use university and community resources to support services and facilities that enhance the learning and cultural experiences of ELC and MA/TESL students.
- Cultivate and maintain a workplace and classroom atmosphere that fosters collaboration, cultural awareness, understanding, and professionalism.
- Uphold the professional and ethical standards of Gonzaga University.
- Maintain and develop strong links with Gonzaga University’s student, staff, and faculty bodies in order to promote Gonzaga’s multicultural mission. Support the Mission Statement of Gonzaga University.
International Students & Scholar Services
Spokane, WA 99258-0041
Toll Free: (800) 986-9585
Phone: (509) 313-6454
Fax: (509) 313-6125